A Great Read (About Us)

Greeny

Jeez, this topic is like walking down memory lane. I still run across Oggy on reddit and fb every now and then, but haven't seen too many stir ups with him. I was wondering how this site was doing and yes, it does seem to have died down quite a bit. Kind of miss the nightly fun runs we used to do.

• Upvote 1

The site has died down alot even scince i joined, when i joined there was a new truck/track uploaded almost everyday. Now days truck and track expectaions are alot higher and harder to forfill. My first trucks where pretty much an edited v4. Now days i do everything from scratch in blender. (Imo this could be a reason the site is dying down)

I would like to raise my hand in rebuttal here, BeamNG is still a far distance off from being a reasonable platform to move over to for MT's. Yes they have made progress but the direction the dev's are moving in is not one that has MT's in major concern. Losing interest is fine, if it was not for SMRA I would probably be as inactive as I was when we first moved from MTM2 to ROR. But as for both Tom and Stephen harking backing to the "good ole days" I flat you disagree, the original years were just as full with bullpoo in the racing side of things as they appear now and to think or say otherwise is just flat out lies. I was part of the minor mod staff during that time, I got to see what went down, there is a reason I had less then 8 total events participated in over the original 2 seasons. As for the trucks not being realistic, Box5's original trucks were far from "sim" feeling and while it is true the toyko drift machines that V4 brought were not any better (which if you look at the low cg trucks of today, they all slide and rarely high side anyway). When it came around to doing new node/beams and physics for V4, there was a larger select group that did not want to change it because then all the trucks would not be equal/fair for online racing (because we all know that they are the same in real life *cough*). Sadly we wasted what should have been the most productive years on here in my opinion. That is not to say it cannot be turned around (working on that part), but it is going to take alot more work with fewer people helping.

See I agree with some of the stuff you are saying Kozak. I'm the first to say yes the events were "corrupt" to say the least, some still are today (not all but some). And the trucks were no where near as nice. And the trucks weren't realistic. But it was fun. I can't speak for everyone else. But RoRMJ and Season 2 was so much fun. I looked forward to every race, every event. The aim chats were active (sometimes drama, but also good conversation), and for the most part everyone had a good time. It might be just me, but the events now a days aren't really as fun. The chats aren't as active, people just show up, race and leave. It's not the same. Like I said, I don't know exactly what it is, but the fun is what brought me here. Yes realism and great looking trucks are awesome. But the fun got sorta lost in the mix for me, and if it's not fun, what is the point? I hang around on the forum because I like all you guys on here, and we all play different games and what not and it's always a good time. But nonetheless, like Roach and Stephen said, for me, I wish it was like how it use to be. Even if it meant sacrificing the really nice trucks/tracks or cool livestreams.

Edited by Tom P.

That was not because it was good though, it was just because it was new and everyone was amped to just take part. I am not trying to discredit to people that actually enjoyed that time frame regardless of their reason, just trying to add context.

I do not disagree that alot of the fun was lost, I mean we have been around for what? 7-8 years now? Nobody has tried to run (atleast not to my knowledge) a completely "anything goes" league where there is no realism. The only large instance that occurred that I can recall is the mtm2 reunion race deal for FM3. Coming from mtm2 trust me when I say that the ultra realistic stuff was not as fun as going all kinds of crazy with no leash. 

• Upvote 2

To add to the unrealistic league argument... Maybe our name is the issue there. SIM-monsters kinda makes this sound like a simulator. And we aren't really doing our selves any good when we brag about how me have created  a more realistic racing game/community than monster jam as an alternative. Which is constantly. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

You mean in 7 to 8 years time nobody has ever bothered to try and run an unrealistic event? Just show up and race and do whatever? That's shocking on the league aspect. That's what made MTM2 great and would easily make what is a great thing here, even better!

The difference in physics between the two games is what makes it hard to do an unrealistic event in ROR. There was a lot of skill to do an unrealistic and crazy freestyle in MTM2. But in ROR you can pretty much do anything with no skill at all. Which is why 99% of leagues are somewhat "realistic".

Even though I haven't been around here as long as some others, I've been here long enough to see the evolution that is taking place; and with what I know that Kozak, Colineri, and Wilkinson are working on, we should hopefully be ditching the box 5 beam sometime soon. Now as far as the unrealistic stuff goes, both Collard and Roach make good points, especially with how the current trucks we have handle; I mean, it doesn't take much for me to go onto a track and do flares and barrel rolls with what we currently have. But I will say that Colineri and I ran a couple freestyle only fun runs where we just let folks have at it, and we got a good reception from folks which is why I'm going to go ahead with a idea i have for a special event; and it might just be the wildest event this site has ever or will ever see.

Are we exactly where I think we should be considering how long this site has been going? Not exactly, but we've still come along way and done some amazing things; and I still think the sky's the limit as far as the furture of this site goes. Granted we're going through a slow point right now, but every game/site has points like this and it doesn't help that 2 of the premier leagues hosted on this site will not be running anytime in the foreseeable future; but we still have SMRA coming up, I've got an idea for a separate series that will run under my RoR MT Pro banner, Roach has his retro league idea that should be a blast, and some of us have been in talks about bringing back something that a lot of people still want to see happen. So for now I'll just ask everyone to be patient, because if everything pans out this site will get very lively within the next couple of months.

Edited by Mr. Beardman
  • Upvote 1

I think we could easily institute a NTNT or PPRL format without causing to big a rift in the physics aspect. For instance:

12 truck bracket with qualifying for racing. You flip over at any point and your considered wrecked for the racing bracket. That encourages hard competition but adds the realism aspect of not trying to drive over your ability.

Freestyle could be the same way but with more refinement. You get a 30 second grace period for one rollover and after that your done. With the ability for ridiculous saves and back flips you simply put a limit on it to one per run. It's pretty easy to determine what would mess up a truck in real life and look unrealistic. No RII calls required just stop the clock and ask the judges to call the scores in. 

I think having a smooth "gimmick" free system would be beneficial to all. Budgets and bookings is fun. So is trying to mimic what we see on a weekly basis with driving. We all migrated to that with MTM2 and enjoyed it a lot. I consider SPHRA and WMTCS the pinacle of leagues in all of online monster truck racing. But the ability to get 20 people together and just compete isn't a bad concept to explore either. It promotes growth and promotes creativity with builders and the online "lurkers" of this forum and whereever else to come out and run again.

• Upvote 3

It's pretty easy to determine what would mess up a truck in real life and look unrealistic. No RII calls required just stop the clock and ask the judges to call the scores in. 

You would think so but you would be amazed at how many bitter individuals would disagree with that statement lol.
And I meant completely off the leash for freestyle with maybe a 2-3 second count for people to recover their trucks (since crab walking once on your side can put you back onto your tires pretty easily once you get the hang of it) before calling a FS run done. Racing would have to have a crash is done type system though V4 trucks are so easy to make into tokyo drift machines that would require a D9 bulldozer to hit them to get them to highside (kinda like Payne's floating 4 link Rolling Thunders lol).
I genuinely think that the community has over saturated itself with "realistic" rulings and need to experience what fun is.

Edited by Outlawed
  • Upvote 4

You guys have to look at the positive, you have to realize multiple people have been working on new physics, also there is a brand new version of ror. Think of the possibilities, once we fully switch to the new version of ror, and we are using new more realistic physics, I bet this site will be just as fun. Another thing is, it seems we have been lacking leagues, if we can get another big league like sim monsters season 1, or 2 going again, I bet we would have plenty of fun, especially with the new physics. Maybe we could even add some more special events, because usually the week of fall madness is one of my favorite weeks of the year, you get to see everyone's creations ext. I bet making a new community pack would also help, I would absolutely love to help make bodies for a new pack. The site might be going a little slow right now but I bet it will speed up soon.

• Upvote 3

I wasn't around for the first few leagues or season. but the 20 truck idea is great. But what about the people that have jobs as people on here say.they have a life instead of being on here... That's my problem. Oh yeah. I hope PPRL makes a come and stay on ROR. that's the most insane league I have ever seen even from the MTM2 days I remember MTM2 when I use to keep up with the leagues during that time. Wishing to join but didn't know what to do. I would love to race on PPRL if that ever comes up again...

Edited by krazyd24

I think we could easily institute a NTNT or PPRL format without causing to big a rift in the physics aspect. For instance:

12 truck bracket with qualifying for racing. You flip over at any point and your considered wrecked for the racing bracket. That encourages hard competition but adds the realism aspect of not trying to drive over your ability.

Freestyle could be the same way but with more refinement. You get a 30 second grace period for one rollover and after that your done. With the ability for ridiculous saves and back flips you simply put a limit on it to one per run. It's pretty easy to determine what would mess up a truck in real life and look unrealistic. No RII calls required just stop the clock and ask the judges to call the scores in. 

I think having a smooth "gimmick" free system would be beneficial to all. Budgets and bookings is fun. So is trying to mimic what we see on a weekly basis with driving. We all migrated to that with MTM2 and enjoyed it a lot. I consider SPHRA and WMTCS the pinacle of leagues in all of online monster truck racing. But the ability to get 20 people together and just compete isn't a bad concept to explore either. It promotes growth and promotes creativity with builders and the online "lurkers" of this forum and whereever else to come out and run again.

DAAAVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Referring to yourself as one of these lurkers? :P I think a big bracket PPRL league/special event format could work wonders, when I did the first Fall Madness that was pretty much what I based it on. Unreal just go do your thing could work but would need some type of rules as most of the trucks promote a realistic style of driving but you can do some pretty unrealistic things if you want. The biggest problem that happens with such a format for an event or league is everyone wants to run their league on the weekend and while most people play nice there are some that simply refuse to work with changing a date or postponing something for a special event.

You would think so but you would be amazed at how many bitter individuals would disagree with that statement lol.And I meant completely off the leash for freestyle with maybe a 2-3 second count for people to recover their trucks (since crab walking once on your side can put you back onto your tires pretty easily once you get the hang of it) before calling a FS run done. Racing would have to have a crash is done type system though V4 trucks are so easy to make into tokyo drift machines that would require a D9 bulldozer to hit them to get them to highside (kinda like Payne's floating 4 link Rolling Thunders lol).
I genuinely think that the community has over saturated itself with "realistic" rulings and need to experience what fun is.

I agree with the crab walk part but honestly if you know what you're doing you don't even need that to right a truck again. It's definitely something that could be done with some limitations applied to what would fly and what would be unable to continue.

You guys have to look at the positive, you have to realize multiple people have been working on new physics, also there is a brand new version of ror. Think of the possibilities, once we fully switch to the new version of ror, and we are using new more realistic physics, I bet this site will be just as fun. Another thing is, it seems we have been lacking leagues, if we can get another big league like sim monsters season 1, or 2 going again, I bet we would have plenty of fun, especially with the new physics. Maybe we could even add some more special events, because usually the week of fall madness is one of my favorite weeks of the year, you get to see everyone's creations ext. I bet making a new community pack would also help, I would absolutely love to help make bodies for a new pack. The site might be going a little slow right now but I bet it will speed up soon.

As much as switching to a new version would be great I really see zero point unless it's going to be to 4.0+ otherwise it just isn't worth it if you want my opinion. Good to see I'm not the only one noticing the lack of leagues currently as well, I know there are a few I think but nothing on a major major scale. The problem with special events is you need people running them that know what they're doing and don't change half the track 5 minutes before the event starts. Mistakes happen and problems arise that you can't always be prepared for but a lot of the problems with a previous special event could have largely been avoided entirely. I do want to see more special events though, that's for sure. A community pack could be a good idea but there are times it simply isn't worth it and if you don't want my word just message Kozak about some of the past packs. I'm still on promoting the stand alone trucks/packs though as not everyone can download a 2gb+ mega pack nor may they want to.

• Upvote 1

Now with all this being said. I think the biggest problem with us is that we can talk up a big storm about what we want to do eventually, but it usually never happens. I understand we all have jobs and personal lives that conflict with the time being made into making a good solid league. But if we really wanted to go forward with it we have to eventually say f**k it and go for it. I'm still considering whether it would be a good idea to do a league, and if I would be around enough to keep pace with it.

• Upvote 1