Can't get tracks/terrains available to play - some appear but not working

lindalou94118

Question

Okay - first off I am the mom of an 8 year old who wants to play ROR so I'm trying to help him.  I've never played or built anything in ROR...just downloaded files for my son.  

I tried searching in this forum for this topic but could not find it.  

I watched multiple Youtube videos with how to download and install the trucks and terrains.  I can mostly get the trucks working (some little issues here and there) but the terrains are a huge problem.  Of all the ones I've downloaded, only two work. The rest either are on the list to play, but at start up it is empty with a black field in the distance that is nothing when you drive up to it.  Others don't even appear in the list of options to play.  

Some important information:  

-> Latest version of ROR downloaded (.4.5.1)
-> I have made sure to only download the terrains that are compatible with .4 version 
-> Windows 7 - tried upgrade to Windows 10 but I have a Dell Inspirion that for some reason has problems with the upgrade
-> Have downloaded then tried putting the terrains in the TERRAINS file and PACKS (just trying things out). 
-> Have cleared cache and regan cache

I'm thinking that it might be a Windows issue as I get a DLL error at start up so thinking that has something to do with my problem.  

You want to make an 8 year old boys day....let me know if you have any thoughts.  I promised him I would keep trying but I am getting to the point that I don't know what else to do.  

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

5 hours ago, lindalou94118 said:

I'm thinking that it might be a Windows issue as I get a DLL error at start up so thinking that has something to do with my problem.  

You mentioned a DLL problem, you might not have the proper visual packages installed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

Install those and see if it fixes it.

If that doesn't work, delete everything from the terrains folder, clear and regen the cache, and then redownload the tracks and put them in the packs folder. 

If none of that works, I'd like to know what the .dll error says.

Edited by Jon Cannon