W10 Won't Recognize Logitech Controller

Helen Weales

Question

(Apologies if this is in the wrong section.)

I use a Logitech F310 controller with RoR, running Windows 10. Lately the controller is sometimes not detected by Windows and I get a "USB device not recognized" pop-up in the taskbar, and it shows up as an unknown device in Device Manager. Usually restarting fixes this, but this can be an annoying solution. I did some research and found out that people are having this same issues with other Logitech controllers as well, so I decided to try to permanently fix this. The fix seems to be going to Device Manager and manually installing a Xbox 360 driver for the controller (Logitech doesn't make a driver because it should be PnP). Somewhere along this process I right-clicked on it in Device Manager and clicked "Uninstall", thinking when I plugged the controller in it would reappear in the list... It never did and I cannot get my computer to detect it again. I have even scanned for hardware changes but it still won't detect it. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can force Windows to recognize it again so I can install the Xbox driver?

3 answers to this question

That used to work for me as well, but it got to the point where it would sometimes stop working in-game. Strangely enough, this controller did work until I disabled it in Device Manager... Now my Surface tablet won't even detect it (although I don't know if it did before and I am running a preview version of W10 on it which isn't the most stable release). I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem with the controller rather than a software issue. Regardless, I'd like to know how to force Windows to detect a device.

1 hour ago, Jon Cannon said:

Have the same controller, and have been through the same process, haha. After plugging it into a different USB, it recognized again for me. 

Also, you should try installing the Xbox 360 driver. Seems like it should fix the issue where you have to switch USB ports.

"Open Device Manager, right click on your unknown F710 device, Update Driver, "Browse my computer, "Let me select from a list", find Xbox 360 Controllers on the list, and select "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" and then "Use driver anyway" if you get a warning"