File altering

lookin4myscooter

Is it possible to take parts of files (I.E. truck files) and mix parts, with permission from the owner(s) of coarse. Example, I want a 2008 Blue Thunder. Seeing as the only difference on the body is mainly the hood, but the Blue Thunder 2008 file is broken. So what if I took the hood file for 2008, removed the hood file from the V3 version, and replaced it with the 2008. Is that possible, or considered misuse of the creator(s) file? Keep in mind that they could give permission for this.

That was an odd idea, but not a bad one. My point in this thread though, is to fix files that are broken by replacing parts. I imagine that its similar to how blender tracks are made, except you don't need blender to fix a truck. The other point is that I could put different bodies on different chassis, also to fix files.

This'd be under the props and flexbody parts of a .truck file

simply put, all those gibberish numbers are XYZ/R-XY, telling a mesh how to be placed using a node from the nodebeam as reference and rotation binding/parent, or three in the case of a camera.

http://www.rigsofrod...s/RoRBook/Props

this should explain more

well yeah, the game doesn't have AI or any kind of sorting system that does work for you ala Source's new steamworks file compiler.

Say you wanted to put blue thunder's body on a Willman instead of a CRD or patrick it's on now.

Since the SM meshes aren't seperete peices for body/ricerback/bed/hood, becacuse flexbodies are apparently scary alien things from the future's dystopian world ruled by the antichrist and his dog moophy, it's all one mesh.

Go into the truck file (open with notepad) and hit Control F. Now type in props

28,25,9, 0.45, 0.49, 1.05, 0, 90, 0, bluethunderbody.mesh

that's the placement, followed by the mesh name, the game will the look for the mesh in the folder that the .truck nests in (along with everything else on the truck) Why we don't have seperate folders for textures/models/materials/other guff is beyond me. apparently that would just make too much bloody sense.

anyway, that number is as follows

;ref,x,y,offsetx,offsety,offsetz,rotx,roty,rotz,mesh

Ref means which node it uses as reference, so where the model's origin will sit if all the numbers are zero. Offset X/Y/Z is how far and in what direction you want to throw the mesh, while still using the original node as a parent for rotation/location in context of the truck itself. X is left and right, Y is forward and back, Z is up and down.

Rotation XYZ is the same, just rotation. X rotates from the "Front" of the model origin (But this could be from the "top" if you modeled like a ponce), Y rotates from the "Top" (or again, from the "Front" if you're a ponce), and z rotates from the "side". unless you're a ponce, in which case good bloody luck.

anyway, copypaste another truck file on a wilman (or the willman prop itself) and copypaste that mesh placement into the final .truck you want.

there's more to explain, but frankly i'm tired and i'm going to model things while furiously humming the animaniacs theme

It's ok Patriot, I apriciate it, but don't explain anymore because I'm not sure I care to learn all that. I understand most of it, but not enough to try it. Besides, my music career has been really goin so I don't have the time anymore anyway. Think I'll just play it, and just be a friend, and an idea giver for now.