1029Eric

This has been a dead topic since I posted about 0.39. Its not going to happen. Youre pretty much taking EXACTLY what I said and now trying to shove it down the community's throat. Let them play on the version that best suits them. Nothing is stopping you from upgrading. Threads like these are a waste of time and just another reason for members to bicker. Peace out dog.

• Upvote 1

Well, with that logic we'd still be using Windows 2000 and playing MTM2 (which in hindsight was massively frustrating and more difficult to edit than RoR). Humans are creatures of habit and most of the time we need to be pushed for progress to happen. FWIW, it's very easy to convert older tracks to the new terrn2 format. I haven't yet looked into adding mud, but a standard track probably takes 5-10 minutes to convert; and after creating one template I'm sure it takes even less time. Trucks also work perfectly fine with absolutely no modifications. It would be awesome if people uploading tracks would include both terrain systems in the ZIPs so people at least have a choice (and I've estimated the extra files are less than 10 KB). This would be a real step forward and would at least encourage people to try the newest version.

I recently had to reinstall RoR -- previously I was using .38 and I decided to upgrade to .39.5. I wasn't expecting much but this version is far superior to .38, let alone the dinosaur that is .37! And .4.5 is even better, I'll completely move to it very soon.

As for .37, why on Earth is anyone still using it? I realize most trucks on this site were built for .37, but it requires very minor truck file modifications (removing semicolons) to make them compatible with .38 and up, and some even work as is. Newer RoR versions are often not the fault of common errors, but rather trucks not being standalone (requiring the messy V4 pack), and incomplete material files are to blame. And does anyone even use the trucks in the V4 packs for anything other than pulling parts? Most props (and many trucks) are now obsolete. Creating a larger scrapyard and a section for pre-.38 trucks seems more logical than relying on the V4 pack.

Well, with that logic we'd still be using Windows 2000 and playing MTM2 (which in hindsight was massively frustrating and more difficult to edit than RoR). Humans are creatures of habit and most of the time we need to be pushed for progress to happen. FWIW, it's very easy to convert older tracks to the new terrn2 format. I haven't yet looked into adding mud, but a standard track probably takes 5-10 minutes to convert; and after creating one template I'm sure it takes even less time. Trucks also work perfectly fine with absolutely no modifications. It would be awesome if people uploading tracks would include both terrain systems in the ZIPs so people at least have a choice (and I've estimated the extra files are less than 10 KB). This would be a real step forward and would at least encourage people to try the newest version.

I recently had to reinstall RoR -- previously I was using .38 and I decided to upgrade to .39.5. I wasn't expecting much but this version is far superior to .38, let alone the dinosaur that is .37! And .4.5 is even better, I'll completely move to it very soon.

As for .37, why on Earth is anyone still using it? I realize most trucks on this site were built for .37, but it requires very minor truck file modifications (removing semicolons) to make them compatible with .38 and up, and some even work as is. Newer RoR versions are often not the fault of common errors, but rather trucks not being standalone (requiring the messy V4 pack), and incomplete material files are to blame. And does anyone even use the trucks in the V4 packs for anything other than pulling parts? Most props (and many trucks) are now obsolete. Creating a larger scrapyard and a section for pre-.38 trucks seems more logical than relying on the V4 pack.

Is there a tutorial to show how to convert the track files? I would gladly like to try it. If I'm the noob I am and convert files I have never heard of before I think professionals could do it very fast. I really think taking the step forward to 4.5 would be the best thing for the community. 

Is there a tutorial to show how to convert the track files? I would gladly like to try it. If I'm the noob I am and convert files I have never heard of before I think professionals could do it very fast. I really think taking the step forward to 4.5 would be the best thing for the community. 

http://www.rigsofrods.com/wiki/pages/0.4_Terrain_System

This explains everything, although if you are not familiar with the old format it might take some time to understand it all.

The tracks we use are basically models of arenas/pieces of land floating on top of nothing, which makes the conversion really simple as opposed to a traditional terrain with a heightmaps and whatnot, so some steps in the link can probably be skipped.

http://www.rigsofrods.com/wiki/pages/0.4_Terrain_System

This explains everything, although if you are not familiar with the old format it might take some time to understand it all.

The tracks we use are basically models of arenas/pieces of land floating on top of nothing, which makes the conversion really simple as opposed to a traditional terrain with a heightmaps and whatnot, so some steps in the link can probably be skipped.

I will have to read it. 

There has been talks of moving to .38 for about two or three years when the site actually had more people but that move never happened because of certain things and eventually people started to drift from the game. As the people above have stated it takes a lot of man power in which this site doesn't have a lot of to revamp 300+ trucks and tracks. Yes an upgrade has been needed for quite awhile but with how things have drastically slowed down and so much needing to happen for a move to be even possible I just don't see their being an upgrade unless there is a much more stable game that is released. These guys have done incredibly things with the hand they have been dealt and I would love to see an upgrade soon to bring more life back into this site.

• Upvote 1

There has been talks of moving to .38 for about two or three years when the site actually had more people but that move never happened because of certain things and eventually people started to drift from the game. As the people above have stated it takes a lot of man power in which this site doesn't have a lot of to revamp 300+ trucks and tracks. Yes an upgrade has been needed for quite awhile but with how things have drastically slowed down and so much needing to happen for a move to be even possible I just don't see their being an upgrade unless there is a much more stable game that is released. These guys have done incredibly things with the hand they have been dealt and I would love to see an upgrade soon to bring more life back into this site.

First of all. Trucks have been verified to work and it takes a committed 10 minutes to convert a track to the new terrain system. And who says we need to convert every track? I bet some tracks on here are junk and very outdated. In addition to this, and if you haven't realized already 4.5.1 is fully stable.

First of all. Trucks have been verified to work and it takes a committed 10 minutes to convert a track to the new terrain system. And who says we need to convert every track? I bet some tracks on here are junk and very outdated. In addition to this, and if you haven't realized already 4.5.1 is fully stable.

You really aren't getting the jist of the situation at all. The trucks might work in the updated versions but the physics are incredibly unrealistic and would take awhile to get right for the updated version. You are basing your opinion on just having trucks stable you are not however basing them on how the trucks will react in the updated versions of ROR.

• Upvote 2

As far as I am aware, the physics are the same except they are slightly faster in newer versions. Can you give some examples of the difference? The speed always seemed fine to me in newer versions, which makes me wonder if people using .37 are driving trucks that are way too slow (monster trucks are fairly fast with quick acceleration and have been since late-stage 2 trucks in the 1980s). I doubt we need all 300+ trucks converted considering most of the V4 pack have MTM2-level detail, are not precise replicas, have unrealistic physics, and are buggy as hell.

As I have said a million times now, at the very least we need a download subcategory for newer RoR versions because some people are obviously not going to upgrade, while others are starting out with newer versions.

The default node beam and truck file we have been using since this site has originated is based on the work of Box5. His base structure works and as I have stated, it could be cleaned up and made even better. Either way at minimum you would be looking at unique node/beam layouts as per real life counter parts, accurate suspension geometry, swaybars that work correctly and alot of minor tweaks/changes that newer builds brought (engine settings, meshwheels, etc). Difference of opinion but the trucks in their current state are geared for Sam Boyd Stadium (70mph +) and are unrealisitic when you can watch people clear 2/3rds of a stadium floor. The TL:DR of why the mod here did not advance as quickly as it should have was right from the get go, the online racing dictated that the truck stay spec handling to be provide the best racing possible. It was not until a recent league on here allowed truck file changes and personalized tuning that people even started to tinker. But how to do you convince someone to make a truck realistic as possible when means you are going to be slower then the kid running a stock truck? Like I stated earlier, I started on a base truck file with the intent to move to a newer ROR build or atleast spark interest in it. Just has not gone according to plan nor at the speed I would have liked.

As for a separate download section for different versions, that is not a worry.

Edited by Outlawed

Just found yet another reason for the upgrade -- FPS is anywhere from 20-30 better. I went from 73-89 FPS (in 39.5) to 103-117 FPS (in 4.5) using Syracuse 2015 Freestyle and a truck of mine with the settings being the same in each (maxed out except for shadows being set to texture). Pretty impressive difference given how much better the new version looks. I still see no difference in truck handling either.

I want to reinstall .37 to run some tests but for some reason it wants to uninstall my newer versions. I just installed both .37 and .39.5 on my Surface Pro tablet and it didn't ask me to uninstall the new versions -- any ideas?

So other than the speed of the trucks, what is the difference between .37 and .38+ physics?

In regards to the actual game engine? No idea, I am not entirely up to speed anymore on it.

I have 4 different ROR version on my PC and never had an issue with asking to remove newer or older versions, do you have the ability to put 37 on a external memory device?

Edited by Outlawed