Importing/Creating Older Monster Trucks and Races

tenpoundburrito

Question

I've recently joined the Sim-Monsters site because I'm going to be needing a little guidance in what I plan on doing. I plan on recreating some of the old, big names in Monster trucks from the mid 1980s up to the 2000s. I'm good at editing the textures and am decent at meshes, but I'm going to need some help with the file system for Rigs of Rods and possibly with operating Blender.

I noticed, for example, that when I downloaded the patch for Sim-Monsters Version III, none of the trucks that were added work. Also, when I installed Sim-Monsters IV, about a third of the trucks have no tires. I also tried installing, following the instructions step by step, a couple extra monster trucks (Little Tiger and Bear Foot), but to no success. Since the trucks aren't contained in a self-made file, is there any way to create a truck that way? I plan on using a standard Sim-Monsters III frame, suspension, and tires, as I like them better than the ones in Version IV and some of them are a little bouncier like the older, leaf-spring monster trucks. I then plan on adding my own bodies and using some of the textures (after converting as necessary, of course) from my old Monster Truck Madness II trucks. Is this even possible?

Lastly, since some of these models are very good and would take a long time to recreate, is there any way to convert a mesh file from Monster Truck Madness II to Rigs of Rods? I didn't plan on my trucks having very high-poly-count bodies anyway, partially for framerate reasons.

One last question. How do I automatically import an outside file to a terrain? I would like to import some of the Squishy Crushstuff into other tracks, particularly the individual cars and car sets, so that it's there when the track loads.

I would appreciate any help or tips on these subjects, and thank you in advance for any help.

3 answers to this question

I can't help with most of the questions you've listed. That is for the more experienced among us to answer. Concerning V4: V3 and V4 conflict with each other which could possibly be why V4's trucks have no tires. As far as adding more V4 trucks outside of the V4 pack, use Winrar. Open up the V4 folder and the seperate truck folder with Winrar. Select all the separate truck's files and pull them into the V4 pack. When that's done, go to rorconfig. Clear and regen cache for the new truck to work.

As far as using an MTM2 mesh with RoR: If you have Binedit 228, open the .bin in Binedit. Then export the .bin as a WAVEFRONT. This should dump both an .obj file on your desktop along with the model's .raw file. Open Blender and Import the .obj.

Doing this results in the model needing to have the meshes remapped to the texture.

I've done this with a track object so I don't see why it wouldn't work with truck bodies.

Edited by Hot Shoe

Thank you for the help. I apologize in the delay of my postings, but I have very limited access to internet where I live. I only go online at a couple relatives and local libraries when I can get to them and I'm not busy. I'll give your suggestions a shot and let you know what I find out.

Here's another question - what files in the Rigs of Rods V3 constitute a single truck and could be uploaded as a single ZIP file. For instance, if I wanted to extract Bounty Hunter from the V3 folder and create a stand-alone monster truck, what files would be needed? This would help me greatly in narrowing down the files to start the conversion process and add older monster trucks (I could use the Retro Bigfoot and Grave Digger II from the folder as starting points as well).