I need help texturing in Google Sketchup!

Lookey2000

Question

15 answers to this question

Just my 2 cents. Its not bashing if its true. I mean all I'm trying to say is sketchup is just not a good program for making content for Rigs of rods. You can tell a difference when you see a sketchup track and a blender track. I'm not the only one who feels this way.

• Upvote 3

I mean seriously. There are soooooooo many tutorials on youtube on how to work blender. I just think people don't want to go to it because they are too lazy to learn the software. It is much easier to comprehend than Sketchup. That's why there is no "Sketchup" section under Tutorials because no one wants to use that program because it is lackluster.

• Upvote 1

You need to run it through a couple of other programs to export it. I am also a sketchup user with no signs of stopping but I have no idea how to export. You're best bet is to find someone to export it for you. I really haven't had too many problems with using sketchup to build stuff, just exporting from it is a ugly pain which is why eventually I'm just going to import that stuff into blender and texture and export it from there. I would like blender a whole lot more if it had actual units of measurement. It's much easier for me to get everything the right size and in the right place using sketchup. I'm happy to see people taking the time to make stuff for this game regardless of what program they use.

The thing is, Sketchup is COMPLETELY different than Blender. Nothing you learn in Sketchup carries over into Blender. Once again, it is the laziness and the "Oh I can't do it because it looks too complex" attitude. We TRY to help you guys but why bother trying to help you if you're using Sketchup?

Not even the look of the tracks, but the verts that the exporters create that are totally unnecessary. I mean we all know Rigs of Rods isn't that advanced of an engine. So vert count totally matters. You have a ton more possibilities when you step into blender, its not even funny. Once you really get the hang of blender, you will want to get rid of Sketchup and kill it with fire.

• Upvote 1

jeez, no offense but aren't you supposed to help people with problems not diss their projects? again, with the blender thing, why can't WE use what WE want to?

Because defending sketchup as a modelling tool is like defending hitler as a humanitarian

Every single thing that sketchup does is specifically designed for people who don't know how to model. The edge loops and verts are "automatically" generated based on input shapes. and while the system works as well as one could hope such a motley approach to work, it's like handling a baseball bat with boxing gloves made of fire and angry cats.

everything that you could possibly hope to do in sketchup is done better and with much less effort and much more control in blender/3ds/maya/anything decent.

there's simply no argument. The only reason you would ever defend sketchup is if you've literally never tried anything else and are simply too lazy to do so but still feel like defending your own impotence for reasons known only to your id.

• Upvote 7

Because defending sketchup as a modelling tool is like defending hitler as a humanitarian

Every single thing that sketchup does is specifically designed for people who don't know how to model. The edge loops and verts are "automatically" generated based on input shapes. and while the system works as well as one could hope such a motley approach to work, it's like handling a baseball bat with boxing gloves made of fire and angry cats.

everything that you could possibly hope to do in sketchup is done better and with much less effort and much more control in blender/3ds/maya/anything decent.

there's simply no argument. The only reason you would ever defend sketchup is if you've literally never tried anything else and are simply too lazy to do so but still feel like defending your own impotence for reasons known only to your id.

Godliest post ever