How to get -spec paint working

Swegliner849

Question

1 answer to this question

The easiest way would be through managedmaterials. 

material TEX/FeldRim2B.png0mat/SOLID/TEX/2xtremeracingRim.png
{
    technique
    {
        pass
        {
            diffuse 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
            specular 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.250000
            texture_unit
            {
                texture 2xtremeracingRim.png
            }
        }
    }
}

This is an example of a section of a material file that is used to texture a mesh, in this case, the 2 extreme racing rims from stock V4. If you want to make a spec paint of the rims, you would make your spec paint, I'll say 2xtremeracingRim-spec.png. 

You then find the material name, which in the example above is TEX/FeldRim2B.png0mat/SOLID/TEX/2xtremeracingRim.png. You then paste that material name under "managedmaterials" in the truck file. You then write "mesh_standard", the regular paint name, and then the spec paint name. So in the end, the section in the truck file would look like this:

managedmaterials

TEX/FeldRim2B.png0mat/SOLID/TEX/2xtremeracingRim.png mesh_standard 2xtremeracingRim.png 2xtremeracingRim-spec.png

Once that's done, the section of the material that you took that information from, needs to be removed. I would suggest making a backup of the material file just in case you screw it up. Then you need to clear and regen your cache, and it should work. Sometimes there's a problem in which the material file won't work after you do this, and if that happens, you will have no choice but to use managedmaterials to apply the rest of the textures on the truck. But don't worry, you don't have to have a spec file, if I was just wanting to texture something using managedmaterials with no spec map, I would just omit the "spec" filename from the managedmaterials line, so in the example above, it would look something like:

TEX/FeldRim2B.png0mat/SOLID/TEX/2xtremeracingRim.png mesh_standard 2xtremeracingRim.png

• Upvote 1