Show Your Projects Chapter 18!

Outlawed

Well, because for the life of me, I can't ever find the right settings to do a proper AO bake. I try and try and try and end up with only parts of the hood and certain other odd areas getting shaded. If you could enlighten me, that would be perfect...

EDIT: After further review, the ruling on the field is overturned. If you remove the backfaces from the inside of the truck body first, raytrace knows what to do and properly shades the truck. 1st and 10 on the 20.

EDIT 2: Well, since no one has replied today, I'll just edit this with Glen Milburn's truck request... A remake of Extreme by White from MTM2:

extreme_zpsfeba20b4.png

• Upvote 9

AO bakes rely on scene lamps in blender, so make sure every angle of your model is covered by at least one lamp, make sure it looks 'proper' in shaded view (under textured in .49, or just textured in anything above .5) and be sure to jack up the AO passes in the world tab, which removes the 'grit' from the AO bake, otherwise everything looks like quake II with textures of a higher resolution than six.

also set it as soft light in photoshop, or hard light with a low transparency, a really stiff bake just ruins a model, as it leaves nothing to the actual shading ingame, but seeing as all the SM materials used are just horrible shadless flat colour, mabye it's best to leave it on high. But none the less, the art of making something look nice is simply the use of subtlety. soft colours, nice shading and soft occulsion looks good, and actually sells colour more than pure saturation and horrible ungodly shading or ostentatious lackthereof.

also i see a lot of project from view mapping on that model. please don't do that, especially if you're relying on AO bakes for model definition

Well, I've finally got the cloning down and these are two of the three team trucks that I've done. These two are trucks that started life over in MTM2 which finally made there way over to ROR. Both sport a Caddy body with a CTS grill and lights. They are still getting some minor work done before getting released.

ApocGates01_zpsf172e2f2.jpg

ApocGates02_zps293ea867.jpg
ApocGates03_zps11d5fadb.jpg

• Upvote 1