Advice Please

rmnldr

After being on S-M for some time and doing a lot of research on the monster truck industry, I've decided that I want to pursue a career path in monster trucks. I'm a senior in high school and I only have 2 months until I graduate. I'm really lost on how to get into the industry and a lot of you seem to know a lot about it.

Some background information on me:

- From New Orleans, LA.

- 17 yrs old.

- Average high school GPA (2.0-3.0).

- ACT score of 25.

- Above-average understanding of mechanics.

Where exactly should I begin? I've been looking into community colleges that have automotive mechanic programs and they all seem the same. What should I be looking for? I'm fairly certain that I won't be able to go to UTI due to a multitude of reasons. I don't live too far away from SIR and I'm unsure if they would let me be an apprentice. 

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for reading. :)

You can start with trying to work on the track crew for some events like a few others have done or see about offering help to an independent team at the shop or an event, just note that under 18 you need parent/guardian permission to be on the floor at events during the show.

Usually you can just ask nicely to help out. There are clubs for track crewing. Theres some people floating around here that can help on the track crew thing.

Here what feld has posted for Crew Cheif http://www.feldentertainment.com/Careers/JobDisplay.aspx?id=52722

And here is there post for a Technician http://www.feldentertainment.com/Careers/JobDisplay.aspx?id=52723

that could help you out for starters. Some on here will say though you have to love this to do this. Its more of a hobby than career.

O i know that CDL's can help.

As of working on the floor, I do not know exactly how to go about doing that unless you are already working for a monster truck team. I am only 16 and I have already worked with two independent monster truck teams. That would be a perfect place to start! Don't always try jumping into trying to travel with them either. First maybe try doing volunteer work at their shop. Trust me, you learn A TON more at the shop then you would at an actual show because there is not that sense of having to rush to get things done quickly before show time. You would have more of a chance to explore the different pieces of a monster truck and how it all works, and after volunteering in the shop a lot then thats when you can maybe try helping out at local shows when they need it. The more you help, the more you get noticed by a lot of big teams. I remember when I was in Tacoma just doing work for Roger Stidell-just a small time independent-and I was approached by Adam Anderson himself and he told me to keep up the good work and to never give up. It might not seem like your doing much at first but people DO notice, even the big wigs. Another helpful tip is when you are at a monster truck show and you see a team working on something, always jump in and try to help them out even if you don't know them. Never really ask if they need help either. Just go in and start giving a helping hand and if they don't need it they will tell you. But that will definitely help you A LOT with getting noticed and getting you a job in the industry. Also if you are worried about age, I can definitely tell you the only issue I have had with that is at Monster Jam. Usually at a Monster X, local fairs, or anything else don't have strict age requirements. If you plan on traveling away from your local Monster Jam show to other Monster Jam shows, try to ask the event director (Randy Smallwood etc.) at your local show (New Orleans) if you can get a form that your parent or guardian can get sign and NOTORIZED (<------ Remember that word) so that you will be able to get automatic access on the floor of a Monster Jam event. But also keep in mind that if you are allowed on the floor, and get a wristband it still doesn't mean you have full access. Normally when you are under-aged you cannot be on the floor DURING the show. You can only be down there before, between or after shows. Plus one of the newest rules for feld is that drivers are allowed only ONE guy per truck. So when you get out on the floor at first, you might not get full access. I have been to many Monster Jam shows and I was given full access only ONE time. But like I said, if you were at a non-Monster Jam event you should not have this problem. This is nothing against FELD or Monster Jam but I am just telling you what I have been through. Getting on the floor is not hard if you have someone on the inside that already knows that you are coming. Usually at a feld event there is a guy or gal by the back tunnel that sits at a table and is the one who is responsible for giving drivers, volunteers, etc. their wristbands. If you are under-aged but have a NOTORIZED form by your parents and someone on the inside (Maybe the person/team you are working with) to confirm that you are not just a "fanboy" then they should give you a wristband. If you do not have a NOTORIZED form then they will let you in ONLY if you have a parent or guardian with you to sign you in. That is all of the knowledge I have to get you started. If you have anymore questions or need more advice you know how to get ahold of me. I hope you are able to reach your goal!

- Preston Perez

It's not easy. UTI has a good curriculum for them from what i heard, but like what happened with Dustin Brown, you're going to have to have a lot of experience to get hired. Try volunteering around. It should be way easier for you than me, you're in Nollins, i'm in Spocompton.....

I myself went to an event and went to Todd LeDuc asking how has it been so far and he said it has been great all season long(last season) then he started saying I look like a man that need to get a job(lol) and I said what kind and he said he'd give me a job to work with the metal melisha so I said I think about it from there at the end of the show I was surprised that he put me in his truck and I did a little encore and it was very fun. From that experience I loved it and one day I might even drive it.

I myself went to an event and went to Todd LeDuc asking how has it been so far and he said it has been great all season long(last season) then he started saying I look like a man that need to get a job(lol) and I said what kind and he said he'd give me a job to work with the metal melisha so I said I think about it from there at the end of the show I was surprised that he put me in his truck and I did a little encore and it was very fun. From that experience I loved it and one day I might even drive it.

What...?

If your goal is set on strictly driving only then this is not the form of motorsport you should pursue but that doesn't mean it can't happen if you work hard to get there.

No. I just want to be in the industry in some way. Of course I'd love to drive. Isn't that everyone's goal? xP

Video or it didn't happen.

• Upvote 1

you may or may not think so, but I've actually had a couple of offers to design wraps for a few real trucks just from making stuff in MTM2. Jr. Seasock (The son of John Seasock, AAP Grinder) asked me to design his truck and I was getting close to getting it how he wanted but then financial issues took hold. On a lesser note, I've been asked to design shirt logos for old friends I met in, what else, MTM2. It's not much, but he runs an RC league that sometimes does side acts at MJ shows and several other events in the community. People see my shirts, ask "hey, who made those?" and it just goes from there.

Plus, a few drivers and crew members have accounts on monstermayhem.org. I know Harper has one and posts somewhat regularly, the site's owner is in good with Pat Summa and even ran a truck of his own for a while, and there are a couple more I can't think of at the moment. It could be as simple as proving you know just enough more than the average fan to be of use, or you may just have to be patient. I got an offer to crew at a Monster Jam in Huntsville AL. from one of the members, but transportation and funding were just too much of an issue for it to happen.

And from what I've learned at work, the more dependable and versatile you are, the more they go to you when something comes up and the more they trust you with. Do your work quick and do it exceptionally well, and you're in good shape. Even if you don't want to, take any opportunity you can to learn anything they'll teach you, even if it isn't your place it may be someday or whoever regularly does it might not be available but you are and you know how to fill his/her shoes perfectly. In a nutshell, the more you know, the more valuable an asset you become. Just don't be a brown-nose in the process. ;)

Just get your name out there in any way you can and you will be rewarded for your efforts sooner or later. Best of luck to you!

Good advice up there. ^^ Don't be afraid to ask questions either and if anyone asks something along the line of "Hey do you know how to do or do you want to learn how to etc" be honest with those because you never want to get stuck trying to fix something you have no clue what you're doing. If your given the chance to learn something new then learn it also there are quite a few heavy items that may need to be removed or brought it from outside the arena (fuel jugs, extra parts etc) so if you're uncomfortable or unable to lift heavy objects currently take that as a bit of cautionary measure. Moving tires can be a little strange and challenging if you've never done it before, they can be unpredictable and extremely wobbly and if you happen to drop one onto its side don't try to pick it up by yourself and you will most likely hurt yourself trying to do so. From what I've noticed most new crew members are started off by cleaning the truck off to remove dust/dirt, tiring up and down (assuming you're there when either occurs), helping with refueling. Don't expect to get a lot of sleep if something major breaks either, most big time repairs are done overnight at the smaller shows.

One last thing, if you don't already use some sort of hearing protection then I would highly recommend you do so if you're going to be close to trucks. You can't fix the damage once it's done.

Just a few things I thought of after reading some of the above posts and a few of my own past experiences, hopefully it's not too much of a jumbled mess and gives an idea of what to expect.