Rear steer switch

GrsRacing

Question

Just curious if anyone on here has built a realistic rear steer switch and handle instead of just using buttons on a wheel or keyboard? I've built one using a keyboard chip and a left/right momentary switch. It works pretty good and it just more realistic than using a keyboard or steering wheel buttons. Just wondering if it's been done and how other people did it.

13 answers to this question

Here is a couple pictures , like I said a little crude , but I'm in the process of building another cleaner version. I just took a cheap $10 usb keyboard and took the chip and wired the switch to the 3 pins controlling f1 and f2. Then mounted it in a small box . In total about $15 for everything . Hopefully the links to the pictures work, they were too large to upload to the forum.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/4FVHOKucA_w

I just took very fine wire, it was actually an old rgb cable that came with 3 wires hooked together . Then I traced on the two plastic sheets inside the keyboard to see what contacts they went to on the chip. There will be 2 separate ones for f1 and f2 then a common one they share . I soldered the wires very carefully to the chip so they didn't touch any other contact next to them . Then the two individual wires go to each side of the switch and the common they share go to the center of the switch.