Alternative Monster Jam Judging Methods

maxdfandan555

I've thought about this, and it's a longshot and can probably have holes poked in it but here's my new plan:

1- No one under 13 can judge
Sorry kids, but it has to be someone who can see more than just the pretty trucks and cool crashes

2- They have to take a test or something to prove they're knowledgeable of the sport
Basically before you can be selected to judge you have to complete a quiz of various things and know-how about Monster Jam. One shot only, once it's done it's done. If the score is good enough then they can be selected

3- If bias is to be believed their scores are invalidated
Basically if someone in a Digger shirt scores low for everyone but Digger, or if it was that one asshole at Anaheim 3 who gave low scores to piss everyone off then their scores for every run is invalidated and an official judge in case of situations like this will bring in their scores

Yeah it's half baked as all hell, basically we need a better process for selecting judges

• Upvote 1

Its basically fine. However making sure judges are competent MT fans should probably be looked at. There is enough of "us" to make that happen especially at major events. Keeping judging a independent third party is important. Otherwise the questions of bias arise. You wouldn't have nitro Circus members judge a competition that has a nitro circus member in it because if that person did win everybody would claim bias. People also forget that prior to the fan judges there were several botches of winners with the "pros". No way is perfect but if you wanted a legitimate freestyle score system you need basic judging criteria for a run. Not just what did you think but something that lets judges know what they are looking for(think x games). 

Judge 1: Momentum 1-10, Are you Jim Jack or John Force? 

Judge 2: Number of hits, You hit a lot of obstacles or very little 1-10

Judge 3: Quality of hits, are you rolling jumps or blasting them? Landing on downramp or just pointing and shooting? 1-10

Judge 4: Difficulty of run. Real saves, backflips, execution of run, variety of hits, usage of floor. 1-10

Judge 5(tie breaker): Fan appeal. Fans into the run or asleep? 1-10

Bonus 1-5 (as it currently is)

If full time is not filled (regulation and bonus) 1 point is deducted from all scores. 

Second tie breaker- Average of scores. Higher average wins. usage of half points are allowed. 

Requires competent judges. No first time MJ attendees, no kids. 

They said that the World Finals judges are experienced fans who have been to multiple Vegas shows. With the controversy from the last two years, I think the pro judges should be in place for the Finals. It's [supposed to be] the best drivers from the tour in one spot going for the coveted title, so it should be an equal shot for everyone. 

10 minutes ago, Charlie H. said:

I'm pretty sure that they don't have kids judge from what I've seen (but I could be wrong...)

11 minutes ago, Charlie H. said:

2- They have to take a test or something to prove they're knowledgeable of the sport

I'm not opposed to this one because this could actually be beneficial, my only question is what would the test environment would be like? If people can take in from the comfort of their house, then some of these people would definitely be looking up answers. My thought: You wanna judge? Come down to the arena/stadium/speedway/venue the day before events start, put your smartphone in the bucket, and take the test. When you finish and turn it in, we'll give you your phone back so you don't cheat.

3 hours ago, steiale said:

They said that the World Finals judges are experienced fans who have been to multiple Vegas shows. With the controversy from the last two years, I think the pro judges should be in place for the Finals. It's [supposed to be] the best drivers from the tour in one spot going for the coveted title, so it should be an equal shot for everyone. 

I'm pretty sure that they don't have kids judge from what I've seen (but I could be wrong...)

I'm not opposed to this one because this could actually be beneficial, my only question is what would the test environment would be like? If people can take in from the comfort of their house, then some of these people would definitely be looking up answers. My thought: You wanna judge? Come down to the arena/stadium/speedway/venue the day before events start, put your smartphone in the bucket, and take the test. When you finish and turn it in, we'll give you your phone back so you don't cheat.

I was thinking of that but my question is how could you orchestrate that? Most fans won't want to cut into pit party time and may not be able to arrive on time. Only thing I can think of is in the downtime after the pit party and before the show since most events are on Saturdays and people work on Fridays

Also I get that watching them put up the scores is part of the appeal but putting them all in one row to me needs to change as well. Basically for those selected there's a number they text that's active for only that event (if that's possible IDK) and they're all throughout the venue. Different perspective from the venue can give some variety in how fans across are viewing the show

22 minutes ago, Charlie H. said:

I've thought about this, and it's a longshot and can probably have holes poked in it but here's my new plan:

Sorry kids, but it has to be someone who can see more than just the pretty trucks and cool crashes

Basically before you can be selected to judge you have to complete a quiz of various things and know-how about Monster Jam. One shot only, once it's done it's done. If the score is good enough then they can be selected

3- If bias is to be believed their scores are invalidated
Basically if someone in a Digger shirt scores low for everyone but Digger, or if it was that one asshole at Anaheim 3 who gave low scores to piss everyone off then their scores for every run is invalidated and an official judge in case of situations like this will bring in their scores

Yeah it's half baked as all hell, basically we need a better process for selecting judges

What would be on the test?

3 hours ago, maxdfandan555 said:

What would be on the test?

General knowledge questions about Monster Jam, various questions asking about what is deducted from a score and what isn't, basically a test to show these people are fairly familiar with the sport and the process. Preferably this would be written answers since true/false is too easy to guess. They'd change the general questions event after event that like in the case of multiple show weekends. 

3 hours ago, maxdfandan555 said:

One of the things I find funny is that Monster Jam says they care so much about the fans. Obviously they don't if most fans are angry and booing the judges. 

Eh fans boo scores sometimes even if they are proper. Take Atlanta 1 for example, they hated the score for MM Junkyard Dog but I thought it was spot on. Sure it had that cool ending backflip but the run wasn't too off the rails before that and the backflip didn't come until bonus time. Sure a lot of times they're spot on, but sometimes they can be on the opposite end where the fan judges get it right but they don't

57 minutes ago, steiale said:

Anyone here know how to become a fan judge at this point? I've been curious how it all works, where I can appy, etc.

Evansville was three track crews, a father and son that was kinda randomly chosen, and I. Julio asked if I wanted to and talked to the girl in charge of judging. It's pretty challenging if you don't know someone. Most stadiums and larger shows do contests at local radio stations for it.

MetLife's judging was actually OK this year. Though it wasn't as perfect as Arlington, I'd say it was fine. The only truck the crowd actually booed at it's scores was El Diablo.

However, there are a few things that can be improved with future judging; lessons. Some of the judges in the FS1 Championship Series were judging VERY poorly. That's where the lessons come in.

They could teach them the basics and some advanced lessons of judging the day before, and let them handle the rest and see how they do.