Thoughts on Auto-Tune?

imComatose

I can't listen to a song on the radio nowadays without auto-tune. I prefer rock and country bands such as Staind, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Aaron Lewis, Darius Rucker and Daughtry. I can't stand the sound of auto-tune. In my opinion it just proves that they cant sing and need assistance. I have seen rock and country bands live, and they sound just like the CD, no needed auto-tune and they sounded awesome and put on one hell of a show. Drake, Lil Wayne, Nikki Minaj and other "artists" have it in almost everyone of their songs, and it disgusts me. Some people might say that its a choice to use it to enhance the music, but the only song that I've ever heard that I would agree with this is Cher - Believe, which is the first ever auto-tuned song. Now its a common necessity for mainstream pop and rap "artists". So what's your opinion on it?

As a musician and recording artist, I agree with all of you, however consider that in a studio, your voice should not be "tuned" for you, but about 75% of your favorite artists that are mainstream have had a little help, even when live, but to an understandable amout (such as vocals boosted in bass or treble and helped in many other ways), but it is annoying that these "artists" try to "tune" themselves, and call themselves musicians. I had a musician in my studio that asked to be auto-tuned, I refused to do it, but helped them a little. Haven't heard a word from the guy. So don't think it's bad to be "helped", but complete auto-tuning, I agree, is outragous and should not be done.

• Upvote 1

Auto-Tune is a big part of me not listening to Pop Music. The worst part is, Pop Music is what's mainstream today. In my school. I was the only one who listened to Rock or anything other than Pop or Rap.

• Upvote 3

Being a Foo Fighters fan I have seen "Back and Forth," the bands documentary. This is the end portion of the movie, explaining the story of how they made their last album "Wasting Light." They decided to make the entire album on tape and analog. Now of course the video isn't about auto-tuning, but is a great way of showing that real music is out there.

*The video does have some "adult" language so watch at your own risk*

Auto-Tune is a big part of me not listening to Pop Music. The worst part is, Pop Music is what's mainstream today. In my school. I was the only one who listened to Rock or anything other than Pop or Rap.

Exactly. My entire group of friends listens to Pop and Rap, and I hate it so much. They always mock me saying Rock sucks and that its all "emo" and screaming and devil worshiping, and all's I can do is just laugh in their face, its funny to hear them try and convince me that pop and rap is better and how auto-tune makes music more enjoyable to listen to.

Being a Foo Fighters fan I have seen "Back and Forth," the bands documentary. This is the end portion of the movie, explaining the story of how they made their last album "Wasting Light." They decided to make the entire album on tape and analog. Now of course the video isn't about auto-tuning, but is a great way of showing that real music is out there.

*The video does have some "adult" language so watch at your own risk*

Foo Fighters hell yeah \m/ ... real talent

agreed. Thats what I was talking about, but stuff like dubstep (auto-tune for instruments in my book) is rediculous

When you know what your doing, dubstep is actually really good. As a bassist, I love dirty, filthy, dubstep with huge drops and lots of wah wah wah wah. Ive been experimenting with my bass and style trying to reproduce that sound. That's why I got a tremolo for my bass. I still need to invest in a few good effects pedals, and eventually, I want to get a synthesizer. Look at Pink Floyd. They did alot of work with synths, and their music is pure sex.

• Upvote 1

When you know what your doing, dubstep is actually really good. As a bassist, I love dirty, filthy, dubstep with huge drops and lots of wah wah wah wah. Ive been experimenting with my bass and style trying to reproduce that sound. That's why I got a tremolo for my bass. I still need to invest in a few good effects pedals, and eventually, I want to get a synthesizer. Look at Pink Floyd. They did alot of work with synths, and their music is pure sex.

Please don't rake offense to my comment on dubstep. I didn't type that correctly. Have been busy and buzzed it. I respect all froms of music, even if it's a genre I'm not fond of. Though dubstep hurts my ears (due to the rapid noises and such) and though I only have 30% hearing in my right ear, I still hear all the sounds and different wave forms they come in, but I still respect it, as it's popular, catchy (even to me sometimes) and awesome Rave music (love Raves), it is still music. And I told my bassist today. Even if you aren't a skilled musician, as long as try and do your best to be the best you can be, you are a good musician ibn my book. Because we all start somehwere, and we all "sucked" at one time. :-) <3