What Causes Lag

Dantesinferno52

Question

7 answers to this question

Its actually a mix of both. Theoretically a 2048x2048 textured track will lag more than a 1024x1024 track, but when I was making my Toronto, I cleaned up the track ALOT, so there wasn't any unnecessary verts and stuff. For the floor, I used a 2048 x 2048 and sent it to one of my friends, who lags pretty often on most tracks. He didn't lag one bit. Because what I did was I joined every single vert on both the stadium AND track so it honestly helped lag alot. So in my opinion, it depends on both the texture and the track. 

• Upvote 1

ROR is far from optimized, the way the soft body physics work in this game you need a pretty decent computer to handle the processing needed for it to make the calculations quickly enough that you dont get "lag" or the game slowing down. I can get 100+ fps online with 6 trucks ingame no issues regardless of track.

to break it down what gives you "lag" in order of importance (In my opinion)

Computer/Laptop your using, if the game gets 30fps offline with minimum detail settings your gonna have a bad time racing online. Even worse if you have alot of backround programs running while trying to run ROR)

Internet Connection (if you are racing online and have a slow internet this will kill your experience)

Track detail (texture size and faces)

I've also found that some Windows updates cause it for this game.  The game works one second but after I run through windows updates it lags like hell (I learned this the hard way).  Also if you have anything hooked up to usb ports that can cause it.  On one of my pc's I have to unplug everything from the usb ports to get the game to work.  I can't wait to finish my game pc and not have to worry about lag for a while.

Its actually a mix of both. Theoretically a 2048x2048 textured track will lag more than a 1024x1024 track, but when I was making my Toronto, I cleaned up the track ALOT, so there wasn't any unnecessary verts and stuff. For the floor, I used a 2048 x 2048 and sent it to one of my friends, who lags pretty often on most tracks. He didn't lag one bit. Because what I did was I joined every single vert on both the stadium AND track so it honestly helped lag alot. So in my opinion, it depends on both the texture and the track. 

Not sure if you're referring to me or not but I never got the track to actually work in-game because it was sent as a folder not a .zip but regardless I always check texture sizes and if anything is over 1024x1024 I re-size them. :) The good news is there are a lot of ways to alleviate lag but if you still have a bad frame rate after that then there is usually nothing else that can be done. Good general FPS guide is by yourself offline on any track between 60-80FPS and then for online play you can drop about 20-40FPS depending on what the other truck(s) are... the more detailed they are the lower the FPS.