An Interesting Article about Past Monster Truck Sims

Jon Cannon

Full Article: http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/04/the-history-of-monster-truck-sims/

What he had to say about Sim Monsters:

The potential of Rigs of Rods was soon realized. A physics engine far more complicated than Monster Truck Madness 2 made early versions of Monster Trucks released for RoR very enjoyable to drive, and coupled with modern steering wheel support, immediately  Rigs of Rods turned into THE PLACE to drive Monster Trucks. Over time, basic stadium layouts were created by the budding mod community just learning their way around blender, and a niche group of around 30 active users quietly worked on expanding the amount of free content available.

Eventually, the dedicated add-on site Sim-Monsters.com was created as a central hub for all things Monster Truck related in Rigs of Rods. Recently, the boys released Version 4 of their ultimate truck pack, featuring over 170 Monster Trucks (all with several chassis or body variations, and many more available for separate download) weighing in at over 600 megabytes. Finally, there was a way to truly find out what it was like to drive a ten thousand pound Monster Truck. No more nitro boost or ten thousand feet jumps through a crowded forest.

And truth be told, driving one of the Sim-Monsters V4 trucks in roosterpit view with a modern wheel setup is nothing short of breathtaking. Unlike console Monster Truck games, you rarely, if ever, get time to take in the view while soaring through the stadium. You’re ALWAYS fighting visibility issues, counter-steering to avoid weight transfer issues that often threaten to send you on your roof, looking through the floorboards to prepare for a landing, praying to God you don’t take a funny bounce, working the rear steer with one hand, and shifting when the situation requires it. The physics are very convincing, and many Monster Jam drivers quietly praise RoR for its accuracy; some using it as a way to brush up on their skills during off-weeks and their driving styles have noticeably changed because of it. These trucks are a handful, and it’s no wonder why some ex-motocross stars such as Damon Bradshaw, and CORR drivers like Todd LeDuc are starting to cross over into the Monster Truck world. The events may be celebrations of destruction and promote what all other racing series hate, but there’s no denying that these trucks take talent to drive on the limit, and the Sim-Monsters trucks faithfully recreate that experience.

ArnhemR_zps1bf23ae3-552x441.jpg

Those were some nice words to be said about everybodys hard work. While far from perfect this game can be very true to the real deal.

Edit: Read the article and what he said about the "drama" with sim-monsters seemed outdated. From what I can see most of those problems have been solved.

I read the article, and I seem to recognize the name. Where from I don't know. Who is this guy?

Reading what he said about MTM (especially MTM2) got me all nostalgic.

I can agree, and disagree with a great many things he said. I especially disagree about how content supposedly gets previewed, then never released only to be horded. Or what he said about there not being a damage model and how it can provide weird quirks in saves, or rebounds.

This is not a perfect simulation, no. But it comes damn close. We could having nothing like this to play at all. Some of us could still be playing MTM2 with dated graphics and ancient "physics", if we could get it to work on these new OS' (I cannot). While MTM2 was great, magical fun, I know that for myself in the days of MTM2 dreamed of a game where we had realistic physics, the ability to do real donuts or rebound and slap wheelies. Heck, when I first started playing RoR, I was just blown away that we would control the front and rear steering independently (couldn't do that in MTM2).

This game is as close to the real deal that I think we can come for a long time to come.

I read the article, and I seem to recognize the name. Where from I don't know. Who is this guy?

Reading what he said about MTM (especially MTM2) got me all nostalgic.

I can agree, and disagree with a great many things he said. I especially disagree about how content supposedly gets previewed, then never released only to be horded. Or what he said about there not being a damage model and how it can provide weird quirks in saves, or rebounds.

This is not a perfect simulation, no. But it comes damn close. We could having nothing like this to play at all. Some of us could still be playing MTM2 with dated graphics and ancient "physics", if we could get it to work on these new OS' (I cannot). While MTM2 was great, magical fun, I know that for myself in the days of MTM2 dreamed of a game where we had realistic physics, the ability to do real donuts or rebound and slap wheelies. Heck, when I first started playing RoR, I was just blown away that we would control the front and rear steering independently (couldn't do that in MTM2).

This game is as close to the real deal that I think we can come for a long time to come.

Oggy, I'm sure you've probably raced with him in MTM2.

He is just butt hurt for the fact that he got banned for his stupidity on this site,

I thought that might have been the case. It's quite easy for the ones who got themselves into trouble to talk big when they are unable to own up or take responsibilities for what they do or say. He sounds like just another "taker" as I call them.

A taker is one who lurks in the "shadows" if you will. They never contribute anything useful. They never make their own content, but comment on what they would do "if they were building tr?cks". The only thing they "contribute" is there share of problems and issues.

Oggy, I'm sure you've probably raced with him in MTM2.

No, I haven't.

• Upvote 1

Be thankful HotShoe, kid was removed from here by his own doing a long time ago (pretty evident in his article because his claims are based on people that no longer frequent this site). Even after being removed he has made several random accounts to make one post topics in brilliant attempts to belittle people on here for being more then average monster truck fans (you should probably see the irony here after reading his "article") with verbal garbage spewing laced with claims of everyone having autism or aspergers.
The amusing part of that whole deal, and a quick lesson on aspergers (or similar types of autism in that spectrum)
"Aspergers is generally characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests"

I am not going to claim to know the kid, infact I hope I never get to, I remember getting linked to a Iracing profile write up that had him listed with something stupid like 600+ oval race starts (or maybe it was total racing starts I dont remember), now call me daft but 600+ racing starts (and I am aware that does not mean he finished or even got past the first lap) driving around a circular track, for however many laps. Now this article he has written, about a community he despises, kind of sounds like "restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests" dont it?

As for activision coming out with something to rival it, all I ask is show me the proof, because talking out of your ass this outlandishly should make a man a walking, talking, sphincter.

Even if they did come out with the god of all MT games, he honestly thinks that would change the community? Monster Jam is marketed for younger kids or did he miss that memo?

BeamNG is going to be the next logical step for whoever is still around and making Monster Truck related content.

• Upvote 4

Some guy that was around during RORMJ. All I remember is that I think he ran straight into a wall during racing during RORMJ's first season and everybody made fun of him for it, but that may have been someone else. (I'm not much better. I lost to Ash by a good few trucklengths, then proceeded to roll violently across the finish line. Good times.)

The article was somewhat decent up until he started bashing the community. Not only is the pot calling the kettle black by complaining about all those problems that SM supposedly has, a lot of what he's saying isn't correct or is a nonissue nowadays. For example, I only remember people getting busted for cheating in RORMJ, and I haven't heard of it since. I also don't remember a single time where somebody got penalized unjustly by the "race officials." If you're going to criticize the community, at least get the facts straight first...

• Upvote 2

He is just butt hurt for the fact that he got banned for his stupidity on this site,

I can't help but feel that just because oggy wrote it everyone's going knee jerk OMG HE'S JUST MAD LEL. But then again this place does wretch blindly whenever anyone criticizes

Some guy that was around during RORMJ. All I remember is that I think he ran straight into a wall during racing during RORMJ's first season and everybody made fun of him for it, but that may have been someone else. (I'm not much better. I lost to Ash by a good few trucklengths, then proceeded to roll violently across the finish line. Good times.

That was max, oggy was one of the best racers there

I don't find anything he said offensive at all. It doesn't bother me that he thinks that this site is overly dramatic. Because that is true sometimes. But we as a staff like to keep things as calm as we can. Some people like to provoke arguments that we can't control. So some of it is out of our control. Most of it is. It was a good read though. I really do miss the mtm2 days. Wasn't so complicated.

• Upvote 2

I don't find anything he said offensive at all. It doesn't bother me that he thinks that this site is overly dramatic. Because that is true sometimes. But we as a staff like to keep things as calm as we can. Some people like to provoke arguments that we can't control. So some of it is out of our control. Most of it is. It was a good read though. I really do miss the mtm2 days. Wasn't so complicated.

Though just about everyone who was ever a mod here...except for maybe Brad added fuel to the fire from time to time.

Good article until he went off complaining about various things of which he has no idea what the inner workings are and the fact he hasn't been relevant around here for quite some time. Got to learn from the mistakes of the past and try not to repeat them and we should all be fine...unless Kozak bans us all which is always a good possibility.

• Upvote 1

I can't help but feel that just because oggy wrote it everyone's going knee jerk OMG HE'S JUST MAD LEL. But then again this place does wretch blindly whenever anyone criticizes

and yet we still keep you around, funny how that works ain't it?

Pretty good read, aside from the "power hungry moderator" trip. Oggy seems to me to have a split personality. One minute hes one of the guys you wanna talk to and BS with, the next hes promoting the "Ice Monstor Homosex Tour" and trying to drive a truck in AME called "The Dealer" based off the drug dealers truck down the street from his house.

I always did enjoy racing with Oggy, but he was a pain on the forums sorry to say.