RC Monster Trucks

JoshDIGRhodes

Seems like everytime i turn around anymore i get messages with people wanting to know how to get an RC truck like my 3 racers. Well, be prepared when you read this because your wallet will have a heart attack once you see how much you have to put into building a BRAND NEW truck. I'm not doing this to scare anybody away from the hobby, i'm just showing you how expensive a clod racer is when you start from the ground up.

CPE Terminator Carbon Fiber Race Chassis: $250, Thats the kit that comes with everything you need to turn the truck into a complete racer. This is also the chassis with the most championships under its belt. 6 out of the top 10 trucks in the Illinois series this year were CPE Terminators. you can go a cheaper route with the aluminum chassis, however the Carbon Fiber chassis handles MUCH better.

Castle Creations 4600kv Brushless Motor/ESC Combo: When i bought my first set they were $117 a peice. Now their down to about $88 dollars for this combo setup. You will need two ESC's and two motors, you'll have to Y harness the ESC's together to get this to work properly. Its much easier than it sounds, but these motors and ESC's are easily the best for the clods. These are sensorless, most of the others are sensored and most of the time allow the front tires to start spinning before the rears kick in.

Tires: IMEX Road Dawgs or IMEX Baja's are the way to go, however they do require some shaving down if you plan on racing them. Its somewhere around $60 for a set of 4 tires. If your racing, go with the Road Dawgs. Baja's, i've never run, but i really don't care for the look of them.

Axle Kit: $73 dollars brand new for ONE, and you need two.

Steering Servo: 68 to 95 dollars for a GOOD servo. There are ones that are cheaper, but i don't like them, much slower than the titanium geared ones i have.

Rims: White clod rims are hard to find, but they mostly run 70 for a set of 4. Chrome clod rims run 60 for a set of 4.

Raidio/Reciever: $320 dollars is what i paid for my expensive Airtronics M11 radio/reciever setup that i run with my main racer(Excaliber.) However there are cheaper alternitives like Traxxas's radio setups which can run around 40 bucks.

Wheel Wideners: Yes, you need these, otherwise you will have HORRIBLE steering. Instructions come with CPE's clod wheel wideners kit on how to drill out your rims to make these work. Their around 25 bucks.

Shocks: Alot of shock choices but my favorites have been the front shocks from the traxxas slash. their smaller, and with the way the terminator is designed they allow for a lower center of gravity. 25 bucks or so for two, 50 for all 4. Their kind of hard to find. Like i said there are PLENTY of other choices out there.

All in all your looking at well over 800 dollars for a full setup for a BRAND NEW truck. My recommendation would be to look around on e-bay for someone selling a clod and start from there. Every once in awhile a truck will pop up on there that is exactly like what i run. Used trucks can go from 325 to 500. A cheaper route, but make sure the seller is trusted and the truck looks to be in great working order.

Hope that helps guys, and if you can't afford a real racer like what i have: Theirs always those Peice of crap traxxas MJ trucks ;).

• Upvote 1

If josh dosent mind i can post some spec on my clods.

Clod #1

Thunder Tech Ripper Pro chassis ($300)

reedy 12t pt motors(brushed with new trintiy brushes)(not sure on price here as well)

novak Xxtra(sp) receiver(not sure on price here)

novak GTX esc ($155)

Txt wheels with imex baja tires (60 dollars total from a friend)

integy piggy back shocks

Spketrum servo.($80)

2008 proline Super duty body($30)

rc4wd widners ($40)

Hot Racing axle tubes ($60ish)

2 4000maah nimih racing packs (60)

Please note this one was bought via ebay

CPE Sniper Pro chassis($120)

super clodbuster kit($300)

Castle 4600kv sidewinder set (x2)( $170 each)

CPE budget servo ($21)

Spektrum 2.4 recover and controller from a friend($125)

Venom 7.4v 60c lipo($90ish)

Traxxas Shocks($30 bucks)

Wolverine body(30 bucks for plain body) (100 for paint)

ttr widners($30)

Integy axle tubes($60)

Now a little bio, bought my first clod back in august, took it and raced and lost every round, but i enjoyed it i went home bought a Sniper pro chassis(last one ever produced) and bought a super clod kit. My first truck is still my favorite, the 2nd truck has yet to move lol, I do all work on these trucks and I seem to be buying new tools time after time after time. But anyone who thinks they should just go buy a clod, go get a wheely king and run it for a year or 2 to decide if you want to go further in the monster truck world of rc's A wheely king is 200 bucks a clod will end up costing you well over 1,000 dollars before your done. And i know myself and josh do 100% of the up keep, maintaice, and repairs on our trucks, for a clod Id recommend you be at least 14 if not older or have a TON or rc experience with hobby quality trucks (owning 2-4 trucks and maintain them all) (sorry any car that you got from a store non hobby shop is not hobby quality, no matter what the box says) Start off small slowly progress your way up and then decide on a clod you want to build or buy from ebay. I dont know what prior experience dirtracer9 has had with real monster trucks and really race them, but our races last anywhere from 10ish seconds to 30 seconds, and its bracket elimination, so if you break you have to fix it in mere minutes, you also need composure, your going to meet a better driver while racing its how you handle racing them, if you sit and worry about it you wont do good, but if you relax you can do a heckuva lot better. Also nobody likes angry or sore losers,, so if you have lost something and raged and gotten mad because you lost im warning you to get lost and find some other hobby like war games, anyone who acts liek this normally gets the cold shoulder, and if they need something chances are fellow racers arent going to because of the way you act.

Also note most places consider monster trucks to be savages, tmaxxs and revos(haha yeah right) so if you see a monster truck racing league in your area go check it out first, 90% of the time their racing revos etc(which arnt monster trucks lol)

Picture of my first truck

wfs131.jpg

• Upvote 1

Also another thing worth noting is that Josh, as well as myself, are both pretty much privateer RC racers. What that means is that we get no huge sponsorship deals with any manufacturer, and 99.9% of the costs of these vehicles come right out of our own pockets.

And if you kids think Clods are a money pit, you'd crap your pants when you see how much money is wrapped up in 1/8 scale Nitro buggies.

And yes I do still have my Clod, it's just sitting on my workbench waiting for some new parts and pieces for the next season.

And also DirtRacer, if the CW Rocket is so good; why are so many people starting to switch to HyperDrive cars

• Upvote 1

Nice post Dig, hopefully it will stop some people from spamming your AIM and youtube. :P

Also to the guy trying to cause trouble, consider this your only warning, if I have to delete another of your posts like I just did you'll be taking a vacation, thread isn't about you or SC racing...it says "RC Monster Trucks" which is exactly what it is for.

hey guys, can u post some pics of the truck w/o the body. i've been wanting to build one, would it be cheap to buy a clod kit for the misc parts, such as axles, rims, and other parts?

Ask and you sha'll receive. This being my second truck, which is still not done by any means, cluttered with wires yes, but they have to go somewhere.

rc001.jpg

rc004-1.jpg

rc006-1.jpg

rc007-1.jpg

rcmt did help me out with compatibility questions with my Sledgehammer with newer parts. I've been so busy with buying a house and working on it that I haven't been on hardly any sites regarding r/c or monster trucks though haha.

• 1 month later...