World Finals XVII Discussion

Sergeant Politeness

1 hour ago, TheTruckGuy said:

Random question but is there a reason as to why this WF had a military theme to it? With Soldier Fortune, SF Black Ops, and these military themed trucks in an encore pic I saw being on the track, and BH's Chris Kyle tribute, I feel like this was on purpose

For some reason I can never post links from Instagram but the encore pic is on MonstersMonthly page

Because our military men and women deserve all the recognition and thanks we can give them. 

My thoughts:

The track played out pretty much the way I thought it would, and I've stated my feelings on that already so I'll just say this: the drivers should be competing with each other, not with the track.

There were still some good runs though, despite the track. I thought Damon's was the best, Adam just didn't do enough in bonus to get the win, in my opinion. Dennis and Ryan also had great runs. It was cool to see the old man put together a run that warranted the reaction "holy s***," for the first time in a long time.

In the future I think it would be good for Monster Jam to move to 20 judges (10 pro, 10 fans) with each giving a score 1-10 for a total regulation score out of 200 points. They can have 10 more judges score bonus 1-5 for a total possible score of 250. The more judges there are, the more likely they are to get it right (that's been mathematically proven). And I think we can all agree that getting it right is what's most important, even if it breaks the tradition of having the scores be out of 35 or 45.

That being said, while Adam didn't have the best run last night I do think he was pretty deserving of a Freestyle championship based on his performances all season.

Also, interesting to note that back in the day (~2005-2012), when Dennis and Tom were the best in Monster Jam, they very rarely came up big in the World Finals freestyle. However, the 3 best right now, Damon, Ryan, and Adam (imo) seem to put together runs that compete for a championship every year. What does this mean to me? It's going to be very difficult to win a freestyle championship in the near (and possibly distant) future if you're name isn't Adam, Ryan or Damon.

47 minutes ago, ARF said:

My thoughts:

The track played out pretty much the way I thought it would, and I've stated my feelings on that already so I'll just say this: the drivers should be competing with each other, not with the track.

There were still some good runs though, despite the track. I thought Damon's was the best, Adam just didn't do enough in bonus to get the win, in my opinion. Dennis and Ryan also had great runs. It was cool to see the old man put together a run that warranted the reaction "holy s***," for the first time in a long time.

In the future I think it would be good for Monster Jam to move to 20 judges (10 pro, 10 fans) with each giving a score 1-10 for a total regulation score out of 200 points. They can have 10 more judges score bonus 1-5 for a total possible score of 250. The more judges there are, the more likely they are to get it right (that's been mathematically proven). And I think we can all agree that getting it right is what's most important, even if it breaks the tradition of having the scores be out of 35 or 45.

That being said, while Adam didn't have the best run last night I do think he was pretty deserving of a Freestyle championship based on his performances all season.

Also, interesting to note that back in the day (~2005-2012), when Dennis and Tom were the best in Monster Jam, they very rarely came up big in the World Finals freestyle. However, the 3 best right now, Damon, Ryan, and Adam (imo) seem to put together runs that compete for a championship every year. What does this mean to me? It's going to be very difficult to win a freestyle championship in the near (and possibly distant) future if you're name isn't Adam, Ryan or Damon.

Or Scott. How could you forget about the guy that many claim should've won this year?

5 minutes ago, TheRetroStyle said:

Or Scott. How could you forget about the guy that many claim should've won this year?

No his run was lackluster and just because he did three backflips doesn't mean that he should've won. Someone said it perfectly earlier that backflips now are so common its like a wheelie so in retrospect(not a pun towards your name) all Scott did was three wheelies and the rest of the run was very bland and so Scott is not considered in the conversation but he should be in the top 10 of the freestyle results.

• Upvote 6

58 minutes ago, TheRetroStyle said:

I watched his run and it was very choppy. There was a good 1-1 and half minutes where he was shut off, and he didn't really get a ton of air.

59 minutes ago, Dantesinferno52 said:

No his run was lackluster and just because he did three backflips doesn't mean that he should've won. Someone said it perfectly earlier that backflips now are so common its like a wheelie so in retrospect(not a pun towards your name) all Scott did was three wheelies and the rest of the run was very bland and so Scott is not considered in the conversation but he should be in the top 10 of the freestyle results.

Yes! 100% agree

• Upvote 1

Honestly for all that's said and done give the Anderson's credit they're fully aware of how shoddy the judging was and do sympathize with those sort of disgruntled (in my book Dennis should've won, but honestly why even argue since the trophy either way will be going back to Kill Devil Hills)

What angered me the most was how terrible the military trucks looked. They didn't even bloody try! Is there some difference between the Air Force and the Air Force Reserve to where they couldn't bring back Afterburner?

47 minutes ago, Outlawed said:

The encore was just the doomsday one with different bodies. Also, I just realized that Scott Douglas was not in Vegas this year, anyone know why?

He was driving Doom's Day?

• Upvote 6

Both him and Dillner were there, but as Hornetguy said, they were focused of calling the action for the TV show, which is coming out in late April. Still question why it takes so long for them to do the World Finals, when the FS1 series is out a week later...

3 minutes ago, steiale said:

Both him and Dillner were there, but as Hornetguy said, they were focused of calling the action for the TV show, which is coming out in late April. Still question why it takes so long for them to do the World Finals, when the FS1 series is out a week later...

probably so they can keep the season going as long as they can 

1 hour ago, steiale said:

It might have to do because they don't have a open slot, with college basketball closing up here in a week or two and NBA and college baseball and MLB starting up, you can bet FS1 will have a ton of these events covered. Besides the World Finals is a lot more footage than your average 16-truck stadium show, so there's more editing