A car question

Roli Christinson

Ok, so i'm going to try to convince my dad to let me do drivers ed next year, and obviously, people on this site know everything automotive better than anyone else i know. I wanted to ask, what would be the best car for my situation? My situation is as follows.

I don't want an amazing car for my first ride, just enough to learn how to drive.

I'm going to probably have to stay under 1K for the price. And that's REALLLLLLYYYYYY pushing it.

I'd prefer an automatic

AWD is preferable, but i could try a RWD or FWD.

I would LOVE a truck. I can't stand the low to the ground crap!

It HAS to last me a while!

If you guys can give me any suggestions, i would appreciate it. Thank you!

Well, since you haven't done Driver's Ed yet, you should probably hold off on a vehicle until after you get your license. If you ever feel the urge to practice driving or something, just ask your parents if you can ride or drive around with them.

early 90s jeep cherokee with a 4.0

I can attest to this.

Cheap, indestructible, 4wd is pretty good, looks good, reliable as all hell and it'll do whatever you want without complaint.

Plus it's got a heavy as hell clutch if you get a manual, get your workout while you drive for good measure

Also looks good in red

• Upvote 2

Ok, so i'm going to try to convince my dad to let me do drivers ed next year, and obviously, people on this site know everything automotive better than anyone else i know. I wanted to ask, what would be the best car for my situation? My situation is as follows.

I don't want an amazing car for my first ride, just enough to learn how to drive.

I'm going to probably have to stay under 1K for the price. And that's REALLLLLLYYYYYY pushing it.

I'd prefer an automatic

AWD is preferable, but i could try a RWD or FWD.

I would LOVE a truck. I can't stand the low to the ground crap!

It HAS to last me a while!

If you guys can give me any suggestions, i would appreciate it. Thank you!

Not too sure what cars/suvs/trucks go for out west but under $1,000 AWD/4X4 and last a while....can be found as long as you don't care about mileage but the higher it is the more the "last a while" comes in to play. Mid size trucks, Jeeps, Subaru's...there's bound to be something in your area but you'll have to dig around to find a good deal and if you want decent gas mileage I would stay away from S10's and Sonoma's. If it's cheap enough you'll have to be willing to look past the automatic only option and seeing as you live in Washington I would drop RWD to the last acceptable choice. Little tip from what I've noticed selling at different times of the year, trucks are generally more popular n the summer and warmer months than cars and the complete opposite in winter/ other cold months

There's something out there for everyone but you have to find it first.

EDIT

The low the ground stuff just stay away from even looking at them if you don't like them. I like trucks as well but that is more due to the fact I have far more leg room in a truck (ext. cabs & crew cabs) over just about any mid-sized car. If you want a smooth ride there are plenty of vehicles out there way smoother then a truck and pay attention to head room, the one thing I hate with smaller cars is if you hit a decent sized pothole or bump I usually smack my head on the roof.

Do your research and read about them looking to see what common problems in any vehicles that you like and remember if it sounds too good to be true..it usually is.

Edited by RKM

Get liability insurance on your first car if your only spending 1k on it. Your premium based on being a new driver will be extremely high, with the money you will save should be equivalent to getting another cheap car if something were to happen. While I have to agree with these guys on a Cherokee, its going to be extremely difficult to find one out west that will pass smog test. Getting a little honda rice burner will prob be your best bet. Safe, reliable, and great gas milliage. Gas milliage will be a key point when hauling your friends around or getting out.

Here is an example of what you will fid in that price range. With a little TLC you can make it a fairly attractive car.

996 Mazda 626

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3664228653.html

I have a 1996 mazda 626. it has power windows and is in very good shape. i bought this car 6 months ago for 900 but i need the money so im dropping the price. the car has 194K miles on it but it can easily go to 400K. it is a manuel and shifts really [...]

• Upvote 1