A thought...

xXTri99erXx

Personally, I kinda like to look at the paint design on the track during freestyle, that way I can get around the track without the turning cars on it, and I get to see what the full track looks like during racing.  In my honest opinion, with the way these guys paint some of the tracks for freestyle, such as RockCrwlr does, I don't even care if there's paint on it, because the track looks so incredible non the less.  Guess it depends on how the track looks in game to me.

Very true, but put it from this perspective, the track dosent have to look like you are the last truck to come out, lol. Like a mid point event look would be nice. Like Tampa Custom.

That actually makes quite a bit of sense. I remember some old tracks from MTM2 did something to that effect. May be a bit tougher for RoR but would be cool to see.

In MTM2 it was easier to add additional obstacles while masking them through the different graphic levels. I believe they were sparse (best for online and best fps possible), normal (mid way graphic setting), and complex (most detailed).

You could set models to specific levels. When set to sparse, say an rv for later on in fs would be hidden (helpful for racing versions to hide fs obstacles and reduce lag). On complex, the rv would be present, with all of that contained on one track/file.

That still doesn't answer the question about wear marks on tracks. You couldn't set different textures to different graphic levels in MTM2.

If you don't like our tracks having wear marks, consider learning how to make your own tracks. Then you can ignore adding wear marks on your own tracks to keep you kids happy.

Like I said, It was just a thought and I like the tracks either way. It shouldnt be that hard to do it though. Erase a little and make it look like the begining or a quarter of the way through the event, render it, then erase more, render it as another file/track. I have tried to make tracks but something always messes up.

No, it wouldn’t be hard to do, but as Outlawed said, it’d be an extra effort that not many of us will be willing to make.

Focusing on the discussion of tracks having varying stages of fs/wear marks, I’ll use Rock as an example: many of his tracks now come with two different versions: a track using a size/lag friendly 1024 image, and tracks using a detailed 2048 image.

Now to achieve the process of having multiple versions/stages of a fs track (texture wise), you would need 3 or 4 different fs track textures, used on 3 or 4 different meshes, using 3 or 4 different .cfg, .odef, and .terrn files so that they’ll be 3 or 4 different tracks in game for the tracks that use either the 1024 images or 2048 images alone. This would bloat the file. It stands to reason that a bigger file will cause more lag.

And all of that to please a small group of people who gripe over the cosmetics of a track? Sorry, but that’s just not a lot of effort that many of us are willing to go to. For me, that’d quickly become a unneeded, tedious, annoying process.

Now here is something that may come as a shock to many of you. It may come off as me being an a-hole. It may come off sounding too strong. If that’s the case, so be it. I’m just very passionate about what I do and very opinionated on the subject. Here it is:

When I make tracks, I don’t make them for the community.

I make tracks to relieve stress and let off some steam while doing something constructive or fun. I make tracks for ME. When I release a track, that’s my choice. I don’t have to release these tracks publicly. I choose to share them with you. As a creator, I have the right to do whatever I deem necessary to my tracks to ensure the vision that I had for my tracks are intact, and for them to feature whatever it may be that I would like to see on my track.

This does not include having 3 or 4 or 5 different versions of a fs track with the only varying differences being in cosmetic details.

So what’s next? Will people complain because my tracks feature too many jammer hits leading to a post stating how you’d like to see different obstacles on my tracks other than a jammer because a small group of you don’t like it? Will this type of complaint continue on to my other specific venues?

What if I’ve accomplished making version 4 or 5 of my San Marco series of tracks? Will you post how you’d like to see me work on different tracks/venues because you’re tired of San Marco and would like to see something else?

In the end, I build tracks on my time for my enjoyment. I’m not about to change the content or the way I build them because a small group of people don’t like the cosmetics or features that are included on my tracks.

Take them, or leave them.

• Upvote 1