Double Backflip Discussion

Metallica530

(Sorry if there's already a thread for this.)

I got into some thinking today about all the things that Meents has tried, in order to land the "Double Backflip".  We all know that he's made a special, safer, and completely tricked out truck just for this.  I believe the said truck is still a Willman, and correct me if I'm wrong but, don't you think that a shorter truck would help with getting both rotations?  From the looks of it, the Willman has a very long wheel base.  Granted the truck always seems to do an almost "Barrel Roll" in the air, I think a shorter truck would give him a little more of the rotation he's looking for, would it not?

I think if he should do it again, tom should do the water bottle effect. put the engine in the back of the truck so that it flips near the second rotation. you know what i mean?

Kinda get like a weight difference, so it'll pull down on the rear of the truck?  That wouldn't be a bad thing too.

The only thing I can say to Tom Meents with the setup he's running, is to be rotating extremely fast. Rotating way faster than both attempts previous to this upcoming attempt. That way he can land on all 4 wheels before the truck twists like both previous attempts.

• Upvote 1

The only thing I can say to Tom Meents with the setup he's running, is to be rotating extremely fast. Rotating way faster than both attempts previous to this upcoming attempt. That way he can land on all 4 wheels before the truck twists like both previous attempts.

Only problem with that, he may over rotate, or risk driving the front end of the truck into the ramp on entry.  The 2nd one may be unlikely,but both could cause some serious damage.  

Only problem with that, he may over rotate, or risk driving the front end of the truck into the ramp on entry.  The 2nd one may be unlikely,but both could cause some serious damage.  

Well that's why I also have an idea for the ramp as seen below.

BackflipComparison_zps4d6812bf.jpg

If the bottom of the ramp is elevated upwards like so Tom won't be at risk of slamming the front of the truck into the ramp, the front tires will be hittting first, which is what you want.

Also, in my mind, if he does properly rotate 720 degrees in the air, and over rotates it and lands on his roof, I still count it as a double backflip. Even though he didn't land back on all 4 wheels he still went 720 degrees in the air anyways.

• Upvote 2

3 Things

1. The truck should be a rear engine truck so he has some weight back there

2. The ramp should NOT be used in freestyle, in that case it might get worn down

3. My ideal ramp for the double backflip would be like this one used in monster jam fans custom world finals part 2 

RoR2013-06-1218-55-06-34_zpsa43d704b.jpg

Yeah, I trust Feld's judgement and theories over those of people that haven't even taken a physics class. With that being said. It should be awesome to see how this next one goes. He is getting closer and closer. And yes I've seen both backflips and double backflips in person and basically he hits it AT LEAST three times as fast and goes twice as high at least.

3 Things

1. The truck should be a rear engine truck so he has some weight back there

2. The ramp should NOT be used in freestyle, in that case it might get worn down

3. My ideal ramp for the double backflip would be like this one used in monster jam fans custom world finals part 2

I was acctually screwing around earlier on that very backflip ramp, with a whole bunch of Max D trucks, and a bodyless Stinger truck, all to no avail.