Computer offed itself. Please help?

NavySonicShell

Too lazy to type up another report, but here's what I posted on /r/techsupport yesterday. I don't think there's any mega computer geniuses on sim monsters, but eh. Might as well.

This may or may not be a virus, hoping not.

So I turned off my computer to go to sleep and left it to shut down while I did something else, I came back two minutes later, and the power light is flashing, and it's revving at me like it wants to race me. After some hurried sleuthing I figured out it does this whenever connected to power (although I have not yet had a chance to use another outlet, other things work fine in this outlet). The on off cycle can only be stopped by turning off the power supply or unplugging the computer. Here is a video

Things to know: -It's a Lenovo H420 desktop with a GTX 560 that I put in, and a corsair cx500. These are the only modifications other than a replaced disk drive, and all of these were done over a year ago.

-today I used a seemingly faulty dvi input/dvi to VGA adapter/VGA cord to finally buy a new monitor that I have wanted to for a while, probably unrelated, but you never know...

-the computer has never randomly blue screened.

-every now and then, like weeks apart, when it would turn it on I would be met with a screen with the logo of the company that owns Lenovo, I think, and saying some error that I didn't record and didn't understand, it gave me the option to start anyway which I always chose, and it worked seemingly fine.

-I just ran a (granted Norton) virus scan on huge computer Saturday and it found no issues.

-being a teenager with no life, the PC gets a lot of use, but hasn't slowed down or anything, this is the first time I've ever had any real issue.

-the hard drive light is not lighting up meaning that it's not being accessed, unless it is for a small amount of time before the computer turns off again, and before it can even indicate its usage.

Does anyone have any idea if this is something simple? Or should I have saved my money one more day to pay for a large repair or worse, a new pc?

Thanks!

Edit: It runs Windows 7 64 bit OS

Someone suggested to disconnect the powers which if possible (seemed like a bad idea when I went to do it) and reset the bios (this was done by removing the CMOS battery for 30-40 seconds). And nothing changed really.

So if anyone know what might be problematic or knows of any good tech support forums or something to take this to that'd be great. I, not too enthusiastic about taking it to a computer repair place because all I ever hear is that they reset your hard drive and that's the last thing I want to happen.

Thanks I guess.

• Upvote 1

Is the cpu fan aftermarket?

Reason I ask sounds like you have a bad fan, bearings may have went bad..bearings do wear over time and cheaper cpu fan ie(stock) are not intended to be run under load all the time (gaming) so they show signs of wear quicker. if thats not where the sound is coming from let me know. 

A bad cpu fan can also prevent the boot sequence. 

Is the cpu fan aftermarket?

Reason I ask sounds like you have a bad fan, bearings may have went bad..bearings do wear over time and cheaper cpu fan ie(stock) are not intended to be run under load all the time (gaming) so they show signs of wear quicker. if thats not where the sound is coming from let me know. 

A bad cpu fan can also prevent the boot sequence. 

exactly what i was thinking, if thats the case u can get some nice cheap aftermarket towers to cool the cpu on newegg, and also if the case permits, CABLE MANAGE XD

I was going to clean the CPU fan but looked at it and it's got very little to no dust on it already. I doubted it would have been that anyways considering that I'm not even attempting to turn on the computer before this happens, I'm just connecting it to power and this is happening all on its own without me doing anything else.

i had this problem where it revs. for 3 reasons for me

1. my bios wasnt updated and it couldnt comminucate with other parts causing a freeze.

2. something was shorting mobo(works fine now)

3. ram had become lose. i just took it out and put it back in

I put an old PSU from a 9 year old gateway and the thing works fine, minus not having enough wattage to power my graphics card and not having enough outputs to power my disk drive. I'm going to put it in the old gateway to make sure it wasn't a loose wire I missed, because if it isn't, I'm going to be pissed that the power supply hardly lasted me one year. Opinions on corsair PSU's and other brands are welcome, I need a new PSU pretty darn soon.