Official Monster Truck "Silly Season" Thread 2014

Roach

While I wait for videos from the events this weekend, i'd like to share something I found out with all of you.

I came across this Bigfoot documentary video and in the video Bob Chandler and Jim Kramer talk about a new Bigfoot chassis design in the works.

FutureBigfootChassis1_zps6818237a.jpg

FutureBigfootChassis2_zps76b1213c.jpg

The reason for this new chassis design is so that the shocks and sway bars can be moved inward alot more so the wheels can steer more, and so the engine can sit lower in the chassis for better center of gravity.

The only problem that I see is that some changes will probably need to be made to the steering assembly as well. The reason is because there is a limit of how far the knuckles can turn on the champagne glasses before the knuckles hit the axle housing.

Maybe that is what this axle assembly model is for.

FutureBigfootAxleAssembly_zps29db82f0.jp

But anyways I think this might be an interesting idea if the project moves fully forward.

Here is the link to the video where I found out about this.

http://www.hectv.org/video/13969/bigfoot-4x4-technology-the-original-monster-truck/

• Upvote 4

Sims spun out in the crossover, tried to recover, and they both barely missed each other. They were not parked like that. 

Video that I took of the finals.

The Wrecking Crew Crash - Steve was OK

Hooked - Winning Freestyle - Steven Was Ecstatic

• Upvote 2

Recap from Honesdale, PA

THURSDAY:

Round One - XDP def. Electric MLB Bigfoot, Illuminator def. Jethro Tow, Bad News Travels Fast bye run

Semi-Finals - Bad News Travels Fast def. Electric MLB Bigfoot, XDP def. Illuminator 

Finals - XDP def. Bad News Travels Fast 

SATURDAY:

1st - XDP 

2nd - Bad News Travels Fast

3rd - Stinger

4th - Jethro Tow 

5th - Electric MLB Bigfoot 

Notes:

-First time the all electric powered Bigfoot competed 

-Illuminator raced Thursday but did not return for Saturday due to previous bookings

-Stinger could not make the call for Thursday due to engine damage suffered earlier in the week 

-Jethro Tow smells amazing since it runs a cinnamon fuel additive 

I think Electrofoot needs to get some more kinks worked out before it should perform, but give it a few years and it'll be as competitive as XDP (who ironically swept that show)

Also I vote to rename Jethro Tow the Cinnabon Crusher.

As soon as they upgrade to lithium batteries (which will be soon since it's already in the works), it will get 3x the overall power it has now - meaning 1600 electric horsepower and 2100 foot pounds of torque. 

First off let me say that Monster Events and Monster Truck Throw down put on the best show's that I've been too.  They're tickets are cheap and the trucks they bring are quality independent trucks.  Also I'm extremely impressed with Trent Montgomery.  He has grown so quickly and is very talented.  I'm glad Jimmy is letting him do his thing in Bounty Hunter.  I expect him to be in Vegas in the YGS and possibly win it.  With that being said here's my recap of night 1 of 2 of the Monster Truck Throw down at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland. 

After 30+ hours of rain on Monday night and into Tuesday evening the track crew did a fantastic job on constructing the track on Tuesday night after the rain had passed.  Here's the line-up

Illuminator - Cory Snyder

Toxic - Travis Petri

Stinger - Zane Rettew

Red Solo Truck - Brendon Budd

Lucas Oil Equalizer - Mike Hawkins

Iron Outlaw - Nate "Opie" Kichner

Bounty Hunter - Trent Montgomery

The night started with the wheelie competition.  All the trucks made 2 hits on the backside of the racing lane with the exception of Lucas Oil Equalizer who broke a ring and pinion as well as a third member.  Trent Montgomery took the win with two great sky wheelies and started his way to what would eventually be a clean sweep of the nights events.  (I didnt get down any scores but tomorrow night I will).

After the wheelie competition the drivers lined up one by one for an obstacle course time trial.  The winner of the time trial would get the by run in the first round.  Lucas oil Equalizer and Red Solo Truck did not compete in racing or freestyle to save their equipment for the back flip later on in the night. Zane Rettew would have a decent run but on the final jump he would blow the left front tire and not be able to make it back for racing or freestyle.  Trent Montgomery was the fastest truck on the track and earned the by run.  How ever with Stinger not making the call that left 4 trucks to compete in the racing bracket.

With Stinger out Bounty Hunter took on Iron Outlaw in the first round and Trent Montgomery took the win.  Toxic beat Illuminator in that round also.  The trucks would swap and winner took on loser for round two.  Bounty Hunter defeated Toxic and Iron Outlaw took out Illuminator.  The finals would be team mates to battle it out.  As the trucks came across the finish line Trent Montgomery was on top for the third time of the night.  Opie was no slouch and was a very close second, the closest race of the night.  How ever, during his racing celebration, Trent got a little too excited and would put a hole in the left rear tire, having to swap one of Outlaws to come back for freestyle.  

Toxic started freestyle off with a nice run, who was followed by Opie in Iron Outlaw with a good run going until he hit the racing lane standing the truck on the tailgate and putting it on its side.  The rest of the trucks put on a solid freestyle but yet again, it was Trent Montgomery taking the win.  Zane Rettew explained that he had actually cracked the rim of the Stinger and had another one on its way but midway through freestyle the wheel was still 20 minutes away so the Stinger was done for the night.

Following freestyle the Equalizer Racing team thrashed on the truck all night long to get it up and running for the back flip attempt.  Brandon Budd and Red Solo Truck would land his successfully but his team mate was not as lucky.  Mike Hawkins hit the ramp but with not enougb angle on the jump it sent his truck up and with not enough rotation down hard on the front axle.  Both trucks sustained damage in the flip attempts with Red Solo Truck breaking a planetary and Equalizer bending a four-link bar, breaking a tie rod ad possibly an axle shaft.  

Damage Report: 

Stinger - Cracked wheel

Bounty Hunter - Flat right rear tire

Iron Outlaw - Roll over (appeared to be mostly cosmetic)

Red Solo Truck - Broken left rear planetary

Lucas Oil Equalizer - Broken ring and pinion, broken third member, bent four-link bar, broken tie rod, possible broken axle

The jumps were steep and the trucks paid the price.  Hopefully everyone gets their trucks 100% again for tomorrow nights show!  I'll do this again with the scores and times hopefully.

IMG_2310_zpsd14abfd0.jpg

Also on a side note, Jay Snyder, owner and driver of Illuminator said that after this year, Cory is going off to college and they don't plan on running the truck anymore.  Anyone have any news of what they're going to do with it? I'll try and talk to him about it at tomorrows show.

• Upvote 1

Also on a side note, Jay Snyder, owner and driver of Illuminator said that after this year, Cory is going off to college and they don't plan on running the truck anymore.  Anyone have any news of what they're going to do with it? I'll try and talk to him about it at tomorrows show.

I talked with Jay and Cory in Honesdale, PA last Thursday. Cory is flying out to Colorado for college this coming Friday, and since Jay won't have his son there as crew chief for four years, Jay has decided to sell the entire operation. He wants to get rid of all of the equipment, rights, etc., just so he can finally have some time off from the road and traveling. If the team doesn't sell, he'll do some small deals locally, but no more first quarter tours or far traveling. In Jay's words: "It's been a nice ride."

It's a great piece too.  Quality equipment.  If it sells I hope who ever buys it keeps the theme going because it's a one of a kind truck.  How ever I feel that they wont keep the lights mainly because Jay owns a lighting company in Bethesda, Md which I assume is where he gets the lights from.

It's a great piece too.  Quality equipment.  If it sells I hope who ever buys it keeps the theme going because it's a one of a kind truck.  How ever I feel that they wont keep the lights mainly because Jay owns a lighting company in Bethesda, Md which I assume is where he gets the lights from.

He created Illuminator to fit his character and personality. He ran Screamin' Demon originally because that's what he bought off of Gary Bauer, the original owner and creator of Screamin' Demon. But Jay wanted something to fit him better, so he went with a new name to fit the new truck to his team (which was the old Virginia Giant #3), being Illuminator. 

And in case you're wondering, the Screamin' Demon name is now owned by Kevin Mileti, who also plans on getting a completely new truck built so he can run the name again with fresh equipment. And the original Screamin' Demon got an overhaul with a new cradle and some roll cage redesigning, which was done by the team at Badlands Off Road Park out of Attica, IN. They now run the chassis as Park Patrol, one of two of their own monster trucks.