Atlanta 2014 Backflip Ramp Fail

CameronMaxD

Backflips are cool, to a point. It's amazing to me that a 9,500lb/10,000lb truck can pull off such a maneuver. However, as many have said, it was cool when it was a novelty. Now, it is like THE MOVE to do. Because of the frequent occurrence of backflips, it has made me detest the fact that so many in the industry are attempting backflips not only mid freestyle, but also making it some big, blown out of proportion side act.

And now, since so many people come to expect to see a backflip, when they don't get it, we have topics like this: Someone complaining about not seeing a backflip and even going so far as to putting the blame on a driver for ruining the prospect of seeing any further backflip attempts. As if for them, the entire show is awash because so and so couldn't do, or didn't do a backflip.

Nevermind the amazing slap wheelie that Chuckie pulled off. Never mind the crazy air Meents, Koehler, or Leduc were able to get. No. If so and so couldn't do or didn't do a backflip, then the entire show was mediocre. Ridiculous.

I can honestly say that if I went to a show in my hometown, and didn't see one backflip, that I'd still come away from the show satisfied. I'm sorry if this post is a bit in your face. However, I'm not only quite tired of this backflip phenomenon, but also having to see or hear the whiny people who cry foul when they don't get to see one.

• Upvote 2

Backflips are cool, to a point. It's amazing to me that a 9,500lb/10,000lb truck can pull off such a maneuver. However, as many have said, it was cool when it was a novelty. Now, it is like THE MOVE to do. Because of the frequent occurrence of backflips, it has made me detest the fact that so many in the industry are attempting backflips not only mid freestyle, but also making it some big, blown out of proportion side act.

And now, since so many people come to expect to see a backflip, when they don't get it, we have topics like this: Someone complaining about not seeing a backflip and even going so far as to putting the blame on a driver for ruining the prospect of seeing any further backflip attempts. As if for them, the entire show is awash because so and so couldn't do, or didn't do a backflip.

Nevermind the amazing slap wheelie that Chuckie pulled off. Never mind the crazy air Meents, Koehler, or Leduc were able to get. No. If so and so couldn't do or didn't do a backflip, then the entire show was mediocre. Ridiculous.

I can honestly say that if I went to a show in my hometown, and didn't see one backflip, that I'd still come away from the show satisfied. I'm sorry if this post is a bit in your face. However, I'm not only quite tired of this backflip phenomenon, but also having to see or hear the whiny people who cry foul when they don't get to see one.

Honestly, I was there and I still thought it was the best Atlanta show regardless of the backflips.

You got massive air from Dennis, Chuck, and Ryan and absolutely insane saves from Koehler and Elliot, not to mention Rod Schmidt giving it hell in Rotty.

Me seeing many backflips in real life, the first time you see one it is very cool. At Philadelphia 2012 I was fascinated. But since I have seen them many times before I just say "eh cool" when one happens

I was about to say the exact same thing.  I wasn't at a show with backflips during freestyle until this past Minneapolis show, and no matter how many you see on a screen, seeing it live for the first time is pretty cool.

That being said, I only like them now when they go wrong.  From my perspective, the normal, straight-on, predictable backflip is overdone.  But when it's either hit sideways, or with a broken truck, or goes into a funky bounce, or maybe even in the future is hit in reverse, it catches my interest again.  Wouldn't have said this after everyone else but I have a feeling this brings a different point into this discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive never seen a back flip since Detroit's monster jam doesnt have a back flip jump. To be honest and i know theres 2 now but the detroit shows suck. 2010 was ok then you had 2011 when nothing went good EVERYONE broke. the only cool thing i saw was max d doing a save. I think FELD rigs the show since ive seen other trucks do the same thing max d did and got RII'd. The back flip is the new thing and FELD wont take it out. Id love to see one and im sure itd be awesome to do one. Until someone gets hurt doing a back flip there not pulling it out. its sad how monster jam turned into a fake event. FELD always has the show rigged out and im sure im not the only one who thought this. If we could have monster jam back to how it was when the 3 judges showing there card.Itd be great and itd be funner. I feel like max d or grave digger during there anniversory they always won. until monster jam is away from FELD itll never be the same

So you dont find feld paid judges judging freestyle a little fishy? Push came to shove im siding with the person who signs my paycheck.

So yeah, I was fine with backflips until I saw this live. Now when ever I see a stalling backflip I cringe, just hoping the same doesn't happen but with worse results. Just would hate to think what would had happened if it hadnt twisted just the tiny bit it did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-whtoYG63vs

So you dont find feld paid judges judging freestyle a little fishy? Push came to shove im siding with the person who signs my paycheck.

So yeah, I was fine with backflips until I saw this live. Now when ever I see a stalling backflip I cringe, just hoping the same doesn't happen but with worse results. Just would hate to think what would had happened if it hadnt twisted just the tiny bit it did.

It was cringeworthy, but you have to think that Chris wasn't going for the backflip, he was trying to go up and over the obstacle (now if you hate how that obstacle was designed, that's understandable)

It was cringeworthy, but you have to think that Chris wasn't going for the backflip, he was trying to go up and over the obstacle (now if you hate how that obstacle was designed, that's understandable)

That doesnt really change anything IMO. Stuff like this still makes me hold my breath. Seeing 10,000lbs+ stall 30+ft above the ground gets me every time with the cage and driver horizontal to the ground.

Its especially scary when you see that drivers have mere inches of head room in certain trucks. 

https://flic.kr/p/mz3Kmv

• Upvote 1