Show Your Projects Chapter 51

fernBurn

I started making frames and bodies for BIGFOOT 8/9 (thanks to @Outlawed for a frame to work off of, and lots of reference photos). This is the original frame for #8, it's mostly complete. It is similar to #9 with a few differences. Overall they are quirky frames but given they were the first of the their kind it's not surprising. Curved top rails, asymmetrical rollcages, odd lower hoop for the front cantilevers (for #8 only) etc. Never really noticed some of their oddities until I studied them today. I had some fun with the 4-link tabs and added "welds", which I think should look nice in RoR (not sure if I've seen this done before).

bajkTPL.png

Q3KNg5X.png

XNAPgAe.png

• Upvote 7

The thought process behind the preloaded curved main rail vs a straight main rail was to deflect the vertical force of landing impacts from causing the main rail to bend or at the very least if it did it would take longer to bend past straight (or atleast that is how it was explained to me). Looks good thus far!

• Upvote 2

Thanks. That is interesting, I was actually wondering why it was designed this way the entire time I was building it.

Something else I wonder -- why didn't they call these "space frames" instead of "tube frames"? Sounds much cooler, and after all, isn't that what they are technically? Imagine Mike Galloway introducing the "all-new computer-designed spaceframe BIGFOOT 8 monster truck! Watch out!". :D

1 hour ago, rockgod88 said:

Space frame had everything all in on spot kind of. The cradle, cab and engine are mounted very close and its no longer then it is high. Kind of like a racing RC Clodbuster frame.

Heres an old design.

made this.

Pretty cool frame design.

Is one of those diggers in the pic a breakable with the flexbody?

9 hours ago, rockgod88 said:

Space frame had everything all in on spot kind of. The cradle, cab and engine are mounted very close and its no longer then it is high. Kind of like a racing RC Clodbuster frame.

Are you sure about that?

"In a (tubular) spaceframe chassis, the suspension, engine, and body panels are attached to a three-dimensional skeletal frame of tubes, and the body panels have little or no structural function. In order to maximise rigidity and minimise weight, the design makes maximum use of triangles, and all the forces in each strut are either tensile or compressive, never bending, so they can be kept as thin as possible."

That seems to precisely explain a standard MT tube frame, no? Look at this VW Dakar rally spaceframe -- Looks like a MT frame, except made of higher-grade steel and can accommodate many more features:

163_news081024_02z+volkswagen_prepares_r

Also, NASCAR use spaceframes and they are similar as well.

4 hours ago, Joey B. said:

Dawg Pound + Monster Mutt confirmed

Decent..

Sir...

kmojrir097v4vcozg.jpg I don't think any of those trucks have "Blake Thompson" written on the side...

And I think after I saw the GD 19 pack with DENNIS'S WF TRUCK IN THERE, I've decided I'm vacationing from posting here for a while. c:

Mods if you see this can you approve Blacksmith V3 for me pls? Thanks c: