Official Monster Truck "Silly Season" Thread 2014

Roach

I wouldn't be surprised if we see another rendition of Iron Man considering all the different designs in the new movie. It could end up being set up similar to the alternate El Toros, with schemes unique to each driver.

They need to make War Machine, I've preached it enough for them not to do it.

Now, before people start complaining, I'm pretty sure the reason FELD changed Superman to this is because the DC trucks are actually now sponsored by DC's parent company, Warner Bros., not directly to DC. Similar to why Batman also received a makeover last year, Warner Bros. wanted their trucks to resemble the likeness of recent movies. 

So before this becomes another round of "why'd they change it?", it's most likely because there are still fans of the Superman style truck and they may not have been able to keep the truck around otherwise. 

The absence of a cape might have something to do with a cape being used on another TBA (in the United States?) superhero truck, but all we can do at this point is speculate.

All in all, the overall design of the truck isn't too bad, I think the render just makes the truck look more shiny than it will be. Yes, it's a standard mid-2000's Ford F150, but looking past the simplicity, the paintjob fits the modern Superman concept, and if it's true FELD was unable to use a cape, there's not much that can be done with a Superman style truck without making it look ridiculous (3D hair :wacko: ), so they figured the best thing they could do is leave it the way it is.

TL;DR This time FELD most likely has a good justification for their choice as opposed to what happened with El Diablo.

It might just be me, and I might be looking into it a bit too much, but I feel like people are starting to become more prone to complaining no matter what choice FELD makes (I'm not saying that El Diablo wasn't a bad idea).

• Upvote 4

It appears Kyle Doyle might be done with monster trucks. I just read this lengthy statement from Kyle on the Monster Mayhem website about his departure from Bigfoot 4x4 Inc. and other things.

Here's the link to the actual page where it was written: http://www.monstermayhem.org/forums/showthread.php?148612-Bigfoot-Driver&p=416901#post416901

Here is what Kyle Doyle has written:

It is correct that I am no longer with BIGFOOT.

Although I am troubled and perhaps even a bit offended with the how and given why(s) of my departure at their hands, I feel I know the deeper reasoning behind it and I cannot say I was entirely surprised or caught off guard. A lot of my friends are upset and even appalled that they would release a guy who had literally just got back in from a company-authorized vacation and who was (and is) still learning to be a husband and a father (I got married a year ago and my wife and I delivered a 8-week premature baby under emergency conditions in August), especially just before the holidays. But I can't say I'm surprised, and honestly from their point of view it probably made good business sense at the time.

In any case, 2013 has been both a momentous and greatly frustrating year for me with BIGFOOT. I got the year off to a decent start and really picked up some momentum down the stretch, won a good handful of events, and found some of BF14's limits, sometimes in particularly painful ways.

As I started to develop a style of my own finally, especially after running those SST shows (which basically force you to give up absolute conservatism), I started realizing some of the current limitations of a truck like BF14, but I didn't want to back down and not try to win. Well, in June and July I started experiencing very bad, persistent (2-3 days long) headaches after shows, along with a frequently sore neck and back.

This came to a head right before my daughter was born at shows in Middletown, NY and Little Valley, NY where I literally was seeing stars during my runs and was exceptionally sore afterwards. To their credit, BF management sent me off to get checked out once I got home and I ended up doing about 2.5 weeks of physical therapy and didn't drive a whole lot for a good long while, which honestly suited me fine since that meant I wasn't getting my feeble brain smacked around and I could spend more time with my baby girl, who spent the first month of her life in the hospital.

Shortly after all this I had the chance to drive BF19 at a couple exhibition car-crush gigs, and honestly my jaw hit the floor each time. The guys in the shop at Bigfoot, and even on back to the CRD people, really did a phenomenal job with that truck. It is hands down the nicest and probably best-riding monster truck I had ever driven. On jumps that I knew 14 would punish me, 19 soaked it up and asked for "more please". I mean no ill towards BIGFOOT when I say this, but driving 19 kind of broke my spirit with regards to driving for BIGFOOT anymore. Driving 19, and the apparent lack of intent to upgrade 14's shock package really did me a number morale-wise. I was and always had been well aware that I usually rubbed against the grain within the company and that I was light-years and a couple more crappy presidencies away from ever getting out of a BF14/15 type ride and into something like 19. And that's if luck stayed on my side and I was a good boy.

So truthfully with that realization I figured my time at BF was limited and the clock was ticking fast. As a lifelong BF fan and a concerned (and yes, opinionated) employee, I was frustrated (and even still, I am still frustrated) about where the brand might be heading. I know management there doesn't share my thoughts and obviously didn't like me expressing mine when they differed. I can't help but be vocal when I care so much about something and the inner die-hard fan inside me is crying out in panic, but I also respect the fact that it is their company and they can do what they want with it. I've never expected them to cater or answer to me nor should I have. I guess at the end of the day I'd have rather gone out the way I did than just keeping my yap shut and not standing up for what I felt was right. All I wanted was to see and help BF return to its status and core ethos of the 85-92ish era.

As we entered the fall I felt it was in my best interest to investigate some other sort of gainful employment options, and although I had far from settled on anything, I made up my mind right away that the monster truck world was not going to be my home any longer. My desire to be a family man and not an absentee father compelled me to get off the road. My hope was that once I could figure something out career-wise, I could approach BF management and either help them get through a busy 1Q of 2014 as a driver, or help train a new(er) guy to carry the torch since I know 14 and it's quirks pretty well, eventually parting on good terms and thanking them for the awesome opportunities they've provided me with and hopefully getting a small amount of acknowledgement from them for my 4+ years of effort. My fear was, however, that I would just get canned if I expressed my desire to leave before I actually had another gig lined up, which would be bad considering I'm the sole provider for a family of 3 including a baby with a mountain of medical bills. Well, however it came to be, that's basically what happened.

So now here I sit, back home in Wyoming, on the cusp of breaking into my next big adventure in my professional life, pursuing my grown-up life's passion for craft beer and brewing science. I'm excited and I hope it works out well for me. I know with so many awesome friends and family members supporting me that I'm bound to figure something out lol. When I was 3, I fell in love with BIGFOOT and Jim Kramer became my idol. It was then I decided I was going to be a BIGFOOT driver when I grew up. And guess what? I did it. So while my inner 3-yr old's heart might be a little bit broken up over what's happened, as an adult I feel a tremendous weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I can now move on with life, knowing I've accomplished EXACTLY what I set out to do. As irony would have it, Kramer was the only member of management with the intestinal fortitude to host my "release party". I guess you've really made it when your former idol gives you the axe! Lol.

If you've made it this far, I'm pretty impressed and you're probably bored. I think I typed all this out as an organizational catharsis more than anything. I'm a nobody to this sport now, but that's all I've really ever been so I'm not too worried about that. I've never won a huge Monster Jam show, never did a backflip or broke a wheel off, never had a huge fan following or really ever impressed anyone all that much. I doubt I ever made a promoter's A-List and I was never destined to be an A-team driver anywhere I've worked. My autograph hasn't ever and never will be worth anything. And you know what, that's ok by me. I didn't invest over 12 years of my life into this business for notoriety or fame or appreciation or to sign autographs or to have dramatic pictures taken of me with my arms crossed and sunglasses on while scowling. Selfish as it sounds, I did it for me and me alone; specifically my inner 3-yr old.

So do I hold a grudge against Bigfoot? **** no. I still love the trucks, past and present; not just Foots, but all trucks in general. I have some choice opinions about the management there, as I'm sure they do about me, but here's not the place and now's not the time for that. I should clarify that Mr. Chandler himself really doesn't have much of anything to do with this issue directly; he may've installed the current regime but he did not personally have a hand in this issue insofar as I can discern. I'm very thankful for the opportunities Foot provided me with...they really gave me the chance to bust my driving career wide open, and I'll always be proud that the first time I ever raced a monster truck, it was behind the wheel of a Bigfoot truck; and I won. I owe a thanks to the Hall Bros, Greg Adams, George Eisenhart (RIP old friend), Dan Runte, Larry Swim, and bunches of other kick *** people for their help over the years. There's a lot of really quality people still at Foot, and I truly wish all those guys good luck.

It's been a (mostly) fun ride, but I'm ready to get off and ride a different one now. Hope that helps clarify everything before the rumor & gossip mill spins up. I don't need and don't want any condolences or sorries or any of that. I made my bed and I'm gonna lay in it however things work out. And by all means, to all the haters, please keep hating. The hate keeps me warm :-)

Respectfully,

KD