Why I suck at driving (video) help! :P

Voth

Question

15 answers to this question

I know you've probably heard it a million times, but the best thing to do is practice. I started playing RoR in November of last year and only now am I actually [sorta] good. For better viewing, I suggest disabling camera pitching under advanced settings in your config. Besides that, learning throttle control and steering balance should be your biggest priority. With a keyboard, it's very hard to steer; but as you enter turns, avoid immediately engaging rear steer and tap the front wheel steering. Throttle control is also tricky. Drive the truck like any regular car, take your time, and use the throttle carefully. Tap the throttle as you enter turns to avoid flipping your truck. 

Overall, this is a very hard game to learn. Real life monster truck drivers say that it is harder to drive trucks in RoR than it is to drive real trucks. If you want to learn, you must invest the time and learn from your mistakes. Join as many fun runs as you can so you can learn from more experienced players. Practice shifting and tight turns on tracks such as World Finals. Eventually you will be able to race Chicago-style courses completely in 2nd gear without flipping. C:

• Upvote 1

I also want to point out, if you are using Cohen's/CRD's, its pretty easy to throttle it into a turn and slide to where you want to go with some practice. Another thing i noticed is that you were turning the wheels every now and then while you were hitteing ramps... that'll flip you over.

A big thing i did when i first started was i took my ipod and timed myself for 2 minutes. And tryed to make my runs as realistic as possible just learn the controls. Take your time with freestyling. dont just hammer over jumps, make it realistic take your time. And slowly you will feel better about controlling your truck

I like to think that RoR is the game where you never stop driving. If you watch hiw Mark's driving on the video, you'll see hes always counter-steering, and on and off the gas. After a few months you should start to get a feeling of the trucks drive and what you can and can't do in 'em. I mYself still have driving on my keyboard, and ive never seemed to be able to drive pike Mark or Josh or Arf, but ive developed a sence in the game enough to know my capabilities of what I can do. Practicing and learning how the trucks are going to handel again, is the key in RoR. In my case, just drive how you can drive. Take it slow for awhile and get to know the trucks, then once you can run for awhile without rolling, try moving a bit faster. It all takes tome, but once you get it, you'll spend more time in the air, than kissing dirt. Good luck to ya.

I would recomend trying some racetracks first.  I decided to improve my racing skills a little while ago and it has greatly improved my freestyles.  You'll learn really quick how to control the truck when trying to get around a track without messing up.  Also a comfortable controller will help out a lot.  This is an excellent track to practice racing on because there's so many different ways you can run it. http://sim-monsters.com/index.php?/files/file/20-florida-citrus-bowl/