Official Monster Truck "Silly Season" Thread 2015

Sergeant Politeness

But FELD will usually still own the rights to a truck that they discontinued, as long as someone like DC or Marvel doesn't own rights to that name too. FELD owned the rights to TMNT until 2013, they owned USAF Afterburner until 2013, and they've owned the rights to Backwards Bob ever since its debut, even though the truck didn't run for 4-5 years. Same with Tasmanian Devil (which they still own the rights to) and Bulldozer (same with Taz). Depending on how you look at it, TMNT wasn't 'gone' until 2014.

The name wasn't retired in 2013, the body was. The name was still around, but wasn't being used.

The name wasn't retired in 2013, the body was. The name was still around, but wasn't being used.

Well, yes. The name is still around because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is still a company that is trademarked, copyrighted, whatever. All ties between Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Feld Entertainment in terms of sponsoring Monster Jam by running their name on one of their trucks were cut at the end of 2012.

Some people do it for the thrill and others do it to bring smiles to kids faces. 

I'd say that the second part is why most of the drivers are in it. I met Steve Macklyn (former driver of Nitro Fish and the Halls Bros trucks) at the Rocky Mountain Raceway show last year. I happened to sit right in front of him, so I was able to chat with him a little bit between rounds. He basically said that, while driving the trucks was fun, making the kids happy really made it worth it.