Official Monster Truck "Silly Season" Thread 2015

Sergeant Politeness

Is it the concrete or are the shocks set really stiff because the truck bounced on almost every hit.

Honestly to me the shocks looked set up too soft.  It looked like they traveled the full length of the shaft on each hit, which is normally good, but not when the smallest hit is less than 10 ft. of air and the biggest is at least 20 ft.  That is what takes a toll on the driver and equipment.  But concrete also is extremely hard on trucks, there is absolutely no give in the ground beneath the truck.

Also it did look like his rear brake rotor was having some malfunction.  It looked like it was sticking slightly, sparks when the truck gets on the brakes is normal, but not when it is accelerating on the straightaways

Who said Wild Thang couldn't take the abuse of big hits?

I said that it couldn't handle the abuse of big hits, and I guarantee you it can't. The rear shocks look like they were landing way too soft and looked like they were hitting the bump stops on every hit. Everyone that has run a single shock setup and gone big with it regret it because it just flat out does not land as soft as a truck with a double shock setup. I'm not saying that he can't be competitive with it, because he can; it just needs a heavy upgrade in order to remain competitive, because his back might tap out before the truck does. Hell, watch Throw Down For What? and Jamey Garner says that the single shock setup hurt on every hit he took. Ultimate testimonial, right there.

Doug knows how to drive really well, and he knows how to put on a great show whenever he drives. I give him credit for going out there an outdated shock setup and making the fullest extent of it, but if he wants to keep up with the biggest and more angled obstacles that are showing not just in Monster Jam but all over the place, the smartest thing to do is to upgrade to 2 shocks per corner. It'll provide a much better cushion. 

I know its common, but would 4 work on each side, like if a chassis was built to support it i guess,

It'd be a stretch and would take a lot of redesigning and re-positioning, but I've seen it done before where there are 2 shocks side-by-side stacked on another pair of shocks where, if you look down at it from the top, it makes a square shape. It would mean a skinnier chassis or even wider axle housings, but I've seen it before somewhere, just can't remember where.

Just found the line up for Dixie Speedway, and it looks killer:

Bounty Hunter- Jimmy Creten

Scarlet Bandit- Dawn Creten

Equalizer- Mike Hawkins

Red Solo Truck- Brandon Budd

Gunslinger- Scott Hartsock

Xtermigator- JR McNeal

Ice Cream Man- Roy Pridgeon

Probably the best line up I've seen since 2010 IMO, once again if you're in the area or within driving distance this is a show you shouldn't miss

• Upvote 1

Just found the line up for Dixie Speedway, and it looks killer:

Bounty Hunter- Jimmy Creten

Scarlet Bandit- Dawn Creten

Equalizer- Mike Hawkins

Red Solo Truck- Brandon Budd

Gunslinger- Scott Hartsock

Xtermigator- JR McNeal

Probably the best line up I've seen since 2010 IMO, once again if you're in the area or within driving distance this is a show you shouldn't miss

Xtermigator- JR McNeal

21107%20-%20Payback%20Rusev%20autoplay_g

Anywho, Should be going either Friday or Saturday. Can't wait! :D

Castrol Speedway is from August 15-16.

THAT LINEUP, THOUGH...

Bounty Hunter - Jimmy Creten

Double Trouble - Tyler Groth

Scarlet Bandit - Dawn Creten

Trouble Maker - Travis Groth

Knucklehead - Trent Montgomery

Iron Outlaw - Brian Maes

Crude Behavior - Jared Vogle

Never heard of Crude Behavior, but this is arguably one of the absolute BEST lineups of 2015 PERIOD.

I've seen Doug in person, the truck will take abuse to an extent. But those are non-FELD sized ramps. And that truck lands super hard on those small jumps.. Imagine it on the big jumps.

11742885_820065851442327_993176249582766

May not be a fancy Monster Jam style ramp, but that's a pretty big obstacle for a monster truck to hit.