Official Monster Truck "Silly Season" 2K16 Thread

Nick Migues

Honestly it's best to just let it be. The kid will never learn. 
On a more positive note, damn impressed with Tony here. Had some great control in a moment that very likely could've ended on his lid

Also you wanna talk about tacky? Let's talk about Tampa.

King Krunch, Pirate's Curse, and Overkill Evolution all rolled in the turns and... yeah looking at freestyle, I'd argue that it was worse than Atlanta. Call me jaded, but honestly this FS1 series is gonna suffer greatly from this god awful track design they're implementing

They need to use designs from 2010-2012. Those tracks were the best in my opinion

It's very obvious that from Atlanta to Tampa they have drastically changed the slope of the ramps, but the track isn't the issue. I've watched videos from both shows and most of the runs end due to failure to make a proper turn or a breakage off a smaller obstacle. I think that throughout the coming weeks, the drivers will relearn how to drive their trucks and we'll actually see some action. 

So Toronto's Sunday show was pretty good, some great racing and freestyle. Rod put on one of the best freestyles I have ever seen him do in person or on video with a great save. I was amazed he was even able to make it out after a spectacular wreck in racing. The overall freestyle show was good but a bit of a mixed bag. Tough luck for Ryan with some motor issues, seemed to be stuck in first gear and the throttle seemed to be jamming. After getting some air or moving around the RPMs would stay the same. That setup he has got really loud with the continuous throttle on like that. He also spend a lot of time on two wheels showing off some skills. Really impressed With Steven Thompson's run, some huge jumps and great momentum. Cam had a good freestyle but with some issues as well. Truck shut off on him once. Pulled off a crazy backflip but landed a little funky and was unable to save it, he rev'ed the engine only to get high RPMs and no power to the wheels. 

I'll post some of my images later on in the week. 

Not my photo: 

12509076_10153662947463891_8621928024698

Uhhh... does this scream "really unsafe" to anyone besides me?

12552842_10153462033120892_3599190888673

With "over 30 years of experience" you'd think CFP would be a bit safer. Sure, Larry isn't hitting the bus stack, but what if the truck twists in the air and hits the stack? These trucks can be unpredictable and they should know that. 

Heck, in Belton this year they only blocked off the first 2 rows, which isn't as bad I guess because the stands weren't full.

23818284994_b95d040bc9_b.jpg

If was even worse in 2003. One row blocked off and a sold out crowd.

12540561_880824498705457_270042985858459

With "over 30 years of experience" you'd think CFP would be a bit safer. Sure, Larry isn't hitting the bus stack, but what if the truck twists in the air and hits the stack? These trucks can be unpredictable and they should know that. 

Heck, in Belton this year they only blocked off the first 2 rows, which isn't as bad I guess because the stands weren't full.

23818284994_b95d040bc9_b.jpg

If was even worse in 2003. One row blocked off and a sold out crowd.

12540561_880824498705457_270042985858459

There is a wall that could slow down a truck if it took a bad turn. Not to mention that there is a lot of space between the ramps and the wall in both pics, giving officials some slight time to shut off a truck.

There is a wall that could slow down a truck if it took a bad turn. Not to mention that there is a lot of space between the ramps and the wall in both pics, giving officials some slight time to shut off a truck.

There's like, maybe a truck length of space between the wall and the seemingly closest obstacle. Not to mention, RII's don't apply the brakes. They won't bring the truck to a dead stop, they probably wouldn't even hardly slow the truck down at all. Also, if a truck was rolling, it could easily hop the wall, I'll grant that it's unlikely in this case, but still, this is why most shows typically block off a lot of seating.

There's like, maybe a truck length of space between the wall and the seemingly closest obstacle. Not to mention, RII's don't apply the brakes. They won't bring the truck to a dead stop, they probably wouldn't even hardly slow the truck down at all. Also, if a truck was rolling, it could easily hop the wall, I'll grant that it's unlikely in this case, but still, this is why most shows typically block off a lot of seating.

This, and if you need an example just look up the Bad Medicine crash in New York. You can't prepare for the unexpected if you refuse to allow anyone to believe it is possible therefore you should always expect the worst to make sure safety is above all else or you're just asking for trouble.

This, and if you need an example just look up the Bad Medicine crash in New York. You can't prepare for the unexpected if you refuse to allow anyone to believe it is possible therefore you should always expect the worst to make sure safety is above all else or you're just asking for trouble.

I mean, the promoter should have blocked off more rows or done something to provide safety. I just don't see there being a high probability of a truck going into that crowd, just seeing the track layout. But yes, anyone at a monster truck show should expect the unexpected and not all safety precautions were taken. You also have to understand, that by the looks of it, that is not a massive arena, and for the promoter to block of the first few rows in that arena could hurt the promoters profits (But money shouldn't be EVER be placed above safety). I mean, they also could have put hay bales or something in front of the wall. But yes, not all precautions were taken and the promoter didn't properly protect the crowd.

Edited by 90sMTRacer

It's just unfortunate that so many promoters seem to value cutting costs over taking safety precautions. Yeah, I get it. They're a business. But it seems like a stupid business move. IMO it's a wiser choice to lose out on a small amount of ticket sales and make sure everybody is safe, than it is to ignore safety procedures and risk paying through the nose for lawsuits/etc if an accident happened. They'd lose out on, like, a few thousand maybe for tickets, versus potentially millions if something went wrong.